Sales tax on new furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchinpa

Feb 25, 2008
Western PA
Hello all

A friend of mine is considering swapping out his older wood furnace for a new Woodchuck wood/coal furnace. The first quote he got included sales tax (he's in PA). Wood stoves/inserts are not charged tax in PA, but are furnaces that burn wood also excluded? Or because the Woodchuck, having the ability to burn coal, exclude it from that provision? He knows the tax credit wont apply because of the coal burning possibilities...

Yukon wood/coal furnaces qualify for the tax credit. I don't think coal is considered a renewable bio-mass. They are the only ones that I know of that burn coal and qualify. More than likely the reason the woodchuck doesn't qualify for the tax credit is it doesn't meet the efficiency standards for the tax credit. I'm not sure about the taxes.

The woodchuck is listed as 78%, so I believe the reason for the no tax credit is the shaker grates disqualify it. He just doesnt want to pay the sales tax if he doesnt have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.