Sample drawings for stove installation (to get permit)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernontario

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
Ontario
So after getting screwed over by the contractor who helped me install the stove/chimney, I need to go get the building permit to install my wood stove. I can do the drawings myself, but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone have any sample drawings showing a stove install? Something to inspire me?

Basic setup... EPA stove in the basement, insulated double-wall Selkirk pipe through the basement concrete wall, then up the exterior wall, and through the roof overhang. Used 24ga steel and steel studs for a 'clearance reduction system' where the black single-wall stove pipe gets a little close to 'combustibles'. Stove sits directly on the concrete floor. (big thanks to sites like Hearth.com... spent a long time tracking down all the proper documentation and verifying through multiple sources the codes for things like clearance reduction)

Everything is already in, clearances all check out, and most importantly, **I** am satisfied that it's done properly! Now I just have to clean up the mess my contractor has created (took my money but didn't get the permits or drawings).

Thanks!

How about taking pictures (real digi ones) and writing on them? Would that work? I know that's what I would be trying to do.

pen

If it's in, and it all meets code and regs, just draw what you have.

Here, the drawing doesn't need to be much, and while we don't need permits or inspections for a stove install, I have had to show drawings for other projects, just enough to show intent and a plan, I would guess show the clearances needed/achieved, and that should be enough.

I'd start by copying the relevant hearth and clearance diagrams and tables from the manual. On another page, show how these requirements relate to your installation by documenting the area of installation. Show clearly how you are honoring or exceeding the manufacturer's requirements and you should be fine. Inspectors will be careful if you are pushing the minimum clearances envelope. There is no harm in exceeding requirements in hearth size or clearances from combustibles. It give the inspector and you greater peace of mind.

SpeakEasy said:
Ask the building inspector what (s)he requires before you knock yourself out over this. You could end up producing WAAAAY more than is required.

-Speak

Ding Ding! I finally heard back from the building inspector... all they require is a basic floor layout showing the stove clearances... not the pipe routing, or cross-section diagram. Thats easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.