Santa got nothing on me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

summit

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
central maine
how do you remove a brick divider to make room for a liner? Santa style, of course!

Attachments

• 0908010932.jpg
    0908010932.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 522
Yah baby. How tall was that chimney? Looks pretty clean too. Not for the claustrophobic types.

I think there should be enough room for the liner.

pen

How is it theres a branch hanging in there?

That is one huge chimney......or maybe it's really just a small person :p

cool picture...I cringed for a moment, feeling a little claustrophobic. Your chimney has no clay liners, you definitely have plenty of room for a SS liner. As far as removing a brick divider, you might want to go down head first next time. :)

Awesome, I wouldn't be able to get my fat head and shoulders in there. @ 6'2 and 305lbs. there ain't enough grease to prep me for that run.........................

Better you than me !!! I give ya credit :ahhh:

Yikes! :ahhh: Being in the emergency services, when I see something like that, I think.....if this guy gets in trouble, how the heck am I going to get him out of there. We once got called to a man in an attic who thought he was having a heart attack. Turns out he is about 300 lbs to boot. He was installing coax for a TV. He was 50 feet from the scuttle hole and it was a small attic. The homeowner wasn't to impressed with the hole we cut in there ceiling :cheese: Be careful out there!

tfdchief said:
Yikes! :ahhh: Being in the emergency services, when I see something like that, I think.....if this guy gets in trouble, how the heck am I going to get him out of there.

Awww - just secure him to the ladder via a loop under each shoulder, then pull the ladder up and he'll come up with it :) (Immobilize head/neck/spine as far down as you can reach and secure to ladder as necessary and access permits - whatever tape you have on hand does the trick). Just hope no lower extremities are stuck when you pull (and/or don't pull the ladder too hard all at once!) :)

Sad thing is I too thought of worst case here too - I just finished reading an article about the 'old days' of chimney sweeps when it was done by sending young boys up with brushes on their heads and in their hands to scrub. Apparently it was not uncommon for them to get stuck for one reason or another and the results were generally fatal. Seems 'mechanical' sweeping with brushes simply was considered inferior for quite a while after it came on the scene... anyway, I digress.

To OP - nice picture, I do wonder though how you could work on anything at all once you got down there unless going in head first as another poster suggested, or did you work your way up from the bottom?

we had to run 2 stainless liners down the chimney. the original structure of the chimney was @ 180yrs old. someone did a new chimney top and basically stepped it in about 1' in on one side over 2 of the original dividers w/ steel plate and masonry. The oil furnace had a exhaust hole equalling about 2" tall by 16" wide coming up just under the big step in... unlined of course. I had to climb in, smash a hole thru the divider large enough to pass a 6" liner thru at about a 30 deg angle, at about 8' down, for a total run of 29' of liner. We also had to run a custom rectangle insulation wrapped liner down for an open fireplace next to it all, running thru another divider (I'm standing on the dividers in the pic, the ladder was just to assist me getting out, shimmying down in was not a big deal). We also put in a pellet unit (harman accentra) at this site, but that was a dv thru the wall install... had everything completed in about 9hrs. The furnace liner gave us the most trouble, took about 6 attempts to get it down.. it weren't pretty for a while.... just another day on the job!

Loco Gringo said:
How is it theres a branch hanging in there?

we clipped a low lying tree branch with the ladders on the truck, left the berries and leaves on the peak hook for good luck.

Milt said:
I can't even look at the picture. :-S

You might want to talk to somebody about that. ;-)

When I was a kid they always sent me into the narrow crawl spaces. Sometimes being the skinny guy has its advantages and then again, sometimes not.

Milt said:
I can't even look at the picture. :-S

I can look but it gives me pause. These days, confined spaces are not on my list of things to enter.

Great pic . . . but if that was me we would have to call 911 for an extrication call.

Thats an awesome pic. Don't let the kids see it, they will think daddy is Santa.

Shawn

i think i might make it my profile pic.

summit, I just want you to know that I have forwarded a picture along with a letter to the North Pole and Santa will be reading this soon. I've heard he wanted some help so you may receive a letter soon wanting your help on December 24-25.

Backwoods Savage said:
summit, I just want you to know that I have forwarded a picture along with a letter to the North Pole and Santa will be reading this soon. I've heard he wanted some help so you may receive a letter soon wanting your help on December 24-25.

thanks for the referral.

heres another good one... on a stepladder againsta chimney. we had to cut up a poured concrete cap on the chimney top and take out the piers holding it up to finagle a liner down... Not too sure how high up it exactly was, but the liner for the Lopi Revere insert was 27' long... and the insert was in a fireplace in a den on the TOP floor of the building.

Attachments

• 0903011018.jpg
    0903011018.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 120
So long as you can still smile while up there working, all is well. Sounds like a heck of a job though.

Status
Not open for further replies.