Sassafras- Give me your thoughts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Just finished picking up the rest of a nice load of Sassafras. About 2-3 face cords. All free other than a little work. Everything I have read tells me that it is a softer wood good for kindling and taking the chill off in the morning. Easy to split, smells great when burning, and burns hot. Anyone have thoughts on this wood? What is the seasoning time? Should I try to get more? Thanks as always guys....

Excellent, easy-splitting kindling. I scored a bunch a couple years ago and use it just for that.

Very good kindling . People round here boil some of the roots and make tea from it

One more thing about sassafras is that it tends to last a long time. Many old farmers used them for fence posts or clothesline posts. Of course if you treat the end that is in the ground they will last longer but even untreated they tend to last 10 years or more. Perhaps the toughest part is finding straight ones. At least around here they don't grow very straight. I've also noticed that since the pileated woodpeckers have moved in, they really love drilling holes in them.

Smells good. Burns hot but fast. I'll take a cord.

It's great kindling wood. I got enough at the house to keep me in fire starter for the next ten years( pretty sassy round these parts) lol

I have tons of the sassafras and don't really like it for firewood. I will give it a try as kindling though.

Status
Not open for further replies.