Saved my moms Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaRSFBurner

Dec 27, 2017
Pella, Iowa
Just got a call from my mom, she put a load of wood in her Oslo and it started to over fire, temps climbed and no secondaries. Because of the knowledge that I learned on this website I knew a door wasn’t latched. Had her check and sure enough the ash door wasn’t shut right. I can’t thank you guys enough for the wealth of knowledge that is in these pages.

Attachments

• Saved my moms Oslo
    C3061DD6-8615-45CD-A037-D4E928F2D0D2.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 78
Nice job! You may have saved her from a cracked base on the Oslo or something even worse.

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
Some years ago my wife called fire dept for the same issue. They almost dumped water on it. But as the wood burned it cooled down. They never found the issue.

Real common issue. When pulling the ash pan, you get ash in back of the pan. The door wouldn't close. You need to to get down there and clean it out.

Xman - Good reminder - that was probably the issue. RSFBurner should call his mom and have her check. When she adjusted the door, it might have solved it for now, but the next time she uses it, it may not be able to close enough and the near over-fire will be repeated.

I'm a "shoveler" with my Oslo - tried the ash pan in the beginning, but never warmed up to it, so I forget about that buildup and other issues with the ash pan door. I try to be a good Olso adviser , but that's a week point for me. :oops:

I learned that lesson within the first few weeks when I went to close the ash pan door and it would not securely latch.

Now I use a short handled fireplace tool set with a flat pan shovel to quickly clean out any ash that accumulates behind the pan. It's an easy-peasey 1-2 minute job.