1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Saw drill/auger attachment

Post in 'The Gear' started by Diabel, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Yesterday I put up 75 buckets at my buddy's sugar bush! Lots of manual drilling once the three cordless/electric drills died. I believe there is a such a gadget. How does it work and your opinions greatly appreciated...
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My BIL has one. Don't know a lot about it but they use it for timber frame construction.
  4. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    We have 6 or 8 of the Stihl BT45's but we use them with the bulb auger. Pretty reliable and only around $400 if I remember right.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

for drilling a 5/16" or 7/16" spile hole in a maple tree?? That Stihl drill is a tad bit OVERKILL, and I know OVERKILL.....;)

I'd either be sticking with the brace and bit, or purchasing a couple extra cordless drill batteries for the job......
  6. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    I just thought it would be a nice addition to my toys. Perfect birthday gift! But I think an extra cordless drill with couple of batteries is the way to go.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I'm assuming there is some kind of vehicle involved in collecting the sap?

If that's the case, maybe the $90 Harbor Freight generator or an inverter big enough to run a corded drill? Inverter is more $$ but could use it to recharge batteries for the cordless drill (while you're on the go) among other things.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Well, if you WANT the gas drill, by all means get it! I've been eyeing that drill up as well as a gas driven circular saw......

Do I need one? NO. Do I WANT one? HELL YEAH!!

[​IMG]
    MasterMech likes this.