scary sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordmetalZ28

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2014
Hudson Valley NY
Too much rain and nowhere for the water to go because the frozen ground. Water started pouring in between my window wells and the ground. Water was 2 inches from pouring threw the window frame. Almost lost 3 tons of pellets , carpets, tools, clothes. You name it anything youd find in a semi finished basement.Thank god for sand. I ended up dodging that bullet. Never saw that coming in the 10 years ive owned this house.

Reactions: Charlotte987
All that rain and nowhere to go, that must have been pretty intense. Glad to hear that you stopped it, would hate to lose the stuff in the basement too.

It's rained here for the past two days, five feet of ice and snow melting all at the same time. No flooding in the basement, the danger is avalanches of snow and ice sliding from the roofs and trees.

Glad you caught it before it happened

Indeed it was pretty scary, the nws had us with a little bit of ice and then heavy rain, well we had ice, more ice and some more ice, thankfully the tree's held up. We had about 20 accidents in town, non serious injuries. I think the forecasters could have done a little bit better job.

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Ground was still frozen and we had two plus get off wet snow on the ground and roofs. 3" of rain caused a low area outside our back door to flood and come in above the foundation wall under the still plate. I rented a utility pump to pump out the low area over a hill. Soon after that I bought my own utility pump to have in hand just in case.

That same day, water started seeping in the basement floor cracks and around the bulkhead. That's when I found out our sump pump pipe outside is not buried deep enough and was frozen solid. Burned out the sump pump. When I went to HD, the only ones left were the most expensive cast iron submersible commercial grade sump pumps. Every one else was buying sump pumps that day. Go figure. Spent around $300 on a new pump.... At least it's better than the one we had. Hope it lasts quite a while.

Side note. I threw a few bags of green supremedown into the window wells and it sucked up alot of water. Found the perfect use for green supremes

Now that's funny! ;lol Atleast they are not totally useless after all!

I have everything in my basement either on blocks, on pallets, on shelves or on slats of wood - unless I don't care if it gets wet. So far I haven't had any issues, but I won't take that chance. Guys that installed my basement stove didn't want to put the cinder blocks that I got to place under it because I didn't need them with a concrete floor. when I explained I didn't know if the basement got wet or flooded, they quit fussing and did what I had asked.

Sump pump ????

You can rent gas powered pumps at the home improvement stores. They can be a life saver.

Always handy to have a small electric one around as well. They can move many gallons!

Status
Not open for further replies.