1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Schematic for Whitfield II control board - Knobs

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Crash_144, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crash_144

Crash_144 New Member

I bought this from a guy who knew not what he does...

After going through the rats-nest of wires he had to try to rig up the auger motor, I had everthing working, except the auger.

I pulled the board and found a burnt resistor.....really burnt...cant read the color code on it.
    (Outlined in red in the picture)

Could really use any help I could get here..

Thanks !!!

Pellet Stove Burnt Resistor.jpg Pellet Stove Control Panel Plate.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Stovensen

Stovensen Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Denmark, EU
    Hi Crash_144,

Welcome to the forum. The schematics for these controlboards are impossible to find... I've tried for years:(
    So, we will never find a diagram with the exact value of the burnt resistor on your your pcb.
    But, there is still hope...
    Do you have an ohm-meter? I hope you have, because with a little luck, the resistor may still have its original ohm-value.
    But be careful not to bend it or otherwise expose it to any physical stress while measuring, as it is likely VERY fragile in the present state.

Other components connected to the resistor are most likely faulty as well, since a resistor only gets that hot when something is very bad. Hmm, you said that everything works except auger motor... that's good news. Try to trace the augerterminals on the pcb backwards... that might lead to the resistor and surrounding components. On my Quest Plus stove the two blowers are controlled by the triacs with heatsinks and the auger motor is also controlled by a triac, but this has no heatsink. I count three components on your photo that look like triacs.

Check for correct function of the auger motor by applying 120 volts directly to it with some test cables. If, say, the windings on the auger motor are fried, this could have led to the fall of both the triac and the resistor.
    Take care when working with naked grid voltage!! If you haven't tried this before, please let an experienced person do it.
    Also check the wiring for any short circuits.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Bo
  3. Crash_144

Crash_144 New Member

Hey Bo,

The auger motor is new, and I did for gp hook it up direct to make sure it was good.

In talking to the old owner again, he had left the back plate off the stove, and his 2 rotwieller puppies chewed all the wires up. He didn't find this out until he went to turn it on a few weeks ago and it zapped...dead shorted auger motor wires.

I found the burnt resistor on my 3rd time going through the board, as its in a pretty hard to see place. I already desoldered it, but I was extreamly careful, as not to bend or put pressure on it, hoping to keep it all in tact so I could read it. I had heard about possibly being able to still get a reading on it, like you said, and will try it today.

Im not an electronic curcuit person, per say, but many years working for Raido Shack when I was younger, I can read and replace componants (Just recapped the power section of my 20 inch monitor..works like a charm)

I really appreciate your quick response!! I was reading this fourm for a week before I decided to give it a try...seems I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend 300-400 on a new board!

I also got a response from SSAC. It was kind of "we really cant help you, but if send the board number, who knows"...so I'm gonna try that route too. Hell, I even posted the pictures on FB..asking if anyone has this controller, if they could take a picture of their board, or read the resistor for me, I would make a donation to the Red Cross in their name.

Again, Thanks for the help...and I'll keep this thing updated!

Tom
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Tom,

Use this link to contact hearth.com member Snowy Rivers http://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/add?to=Snowy Rivers .

She replaced the controls on her two Whits with one of her own design made from available stock off the shelf parts, she likely also has some old stuff about the older stoves. I'm just not sure about if it would be anything for your particular Whit.

ETA: Then there is Dave:

My new email address is pcboardrepair@gmail.com

Stop wasting your money and send it to the expert for repair.
    Quick turnaround. All work guaranteed.

I repair all Whitfield pellet stove control boards. A Advantage II-T (WP2) control board is shown operating in this video.

I also repair other makes such as Breckwell, Earth Stove, Winch Perfecta and others.

email:
    pcboardrepair@gmail.com

5. Bryanmcn

Bryanmcn New Member

Hi Crash
    I have the exact same control board with the exact same problem. I accidentally shorted the Auger terminals and the resister blew. Did you ever find out the
    value of the resister?

Bryan
  6. tyler886

tyler886 New Member

Loc:
    RI
    Has anyone successfully figured out the value of this resistor on the board? I have the same issue with an Advantage and dont want to spend $300+ for replacement. Its a $.03 resistor if anyone can ID it.

If no one has figured it out, does anyone happen to have a good board with an unburnt resistor they could look at?