Schrader Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newbie31

Jan 15, 2024
USA IL
I'm new to fireplaces in general and don't want to break the bank on a newer insert. I came across a Schrader insert but can't find any information online. The ad says it's cast iron and it doesn't have go down to a smaller pipe in the back (attaching photos)
Would this be a fire hazard anymore than just the fireplace?
Would it help heat output?

1000006615.jpg 1000006616.jpg

I'm new to fireplaces in general and don't want to break the bank on a newer insert. I came across a Schrader insert but can't find any information online. The ad says it's cast iron and it doesn't have go down to a smaller pipe in the back (attaching photos)
Would this be a fire hazard anymore than just the fireplace?
Would it help heat output?View attachment 322841View attachment 322842
There is no cast iron on that the doors are cast aluminum. And half the stove is gone

Reactions: Newbie31
Steel plate, not cast-iron and no, you do not want it or to feed it.

That’s the optional moon roof
Lol fair enough. I wasn't sure with how it was set up if I could just slide it in and run it to get more heat out of my fireplace.
I appreciate the responses.
Is there a budget friendly insert that you guys would recommend?

That’s the optional moon roof.

Where we’re going we don’t need liners!
There is no floor either incase you missed that

There is no floor either incase you missed that
I had.
Which currently my fireplace is just the masonry, glass doors and the metal skirt.
Part of my though process before posting this was it acting like a reflector that can set in the back.
I'm not trying to sound pig headed or arrogant just trying to make sense out of how it would be different?
Does it have to do with how it will make the smoke roll to where it won't properly go through the chimney?

Edit: I'm in lower central IL. It's usually not brutally cold but I am wanting to use my fireplace to knock the chill off during the winter especially on the rare occasion we hit negative temps

Also I really do appreciate the time being taken to respond to my questions on this

Last edited:
I had.
Which currently my fireplace is just the masonry, glass doors and the metal skirt.
Part of my though process before posting this was it acting like a reflector that can set in the back.
I'm not trying to sound pig headed or arrogant just trying to make sense out of how it would be different?
Does it have to do with how it will make the smoke roll to where it won't properly go through the chimney?

Edit: I'm in lower central IL. It's usually not brutally cold but I am wanting to use my fireplace to knock the chill off during the winter especially on the rare occasion we hit negative temps

Also I really do appreciate the time being taken to respond to my questions on this
The object is making a firebox as airtight as possible. Any stove can leak in around the doors, and the intakes should be the only controllable air inlet.

What makes any stove work is the rising gases, moving up the chimney flue. This causes a low pressure area in the chimney, pipe and stove. This allows atmospheric air pressure to PUSH into the intake, feeding the fire oxygen.

Any leaks into the firebox, feeds the fire, more air than it needs burning faster and shortening the duration of the burn. The intake air needs to be controlled.

Any leaks into the vent system allows air pressure to leak in, not smoke or products of combustion to leak out. This is dilution air that lowers the flue gas temperature. The object is keeping the flue gases above 250°F to the top. Below this critical temperature, water vapor from combustion allows smoke particles to stick. This forms creosote.

The object is making a firebox as airtight as possible. Any stove can leak in around the doors, and the intakes should be the only controllable air inlet.

What makes any stove work is the rising gases, moving up the chimney flue. This causes a low pressure area in the chimney, pipe and stove. This allows atmospheric air pressure to PUSH into the intake, feeding the fire oxygen.

Any leaks into the firebox, feeds the fire, more air than it needs burning faster and shortening the duration of the burn. The intake air needs to be controlled.

Any leaks into the vent system allows air pressure to leak in, not smoke or products of combustion to leak out. This is dilution air that lowers the flue gas temperature. The object is keeping the flue gases above 250°F to the top. Below this critical temperature, water vapor from combustion allows smoke particles to stick. This forms creosote.
Okay, that makes more sense thank you