Schrader Stove - Install into Existing Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elscotto80

Dec 12, 2017
Baltimore
I was given an old Schrader from my uncle who had it installed in his house sometime in the late 70's or early 80s. Its in great shape and all the bricks are in tact.

Previously i had an oil furnace which i recently replaced with a heat pump. Now that the oil furnace is gone, my chimney is unused, so why not put it to use with this free stove!!??

I had the chimney swept and they guys said it was in really good shape inside and out. I also confirmed this myself - its clean and the terra cotta is in great shape - no cracks or other issues. The terra cotta liner is 8X8 within a masonry block chimney on the outside of my house. These guys returned an estimate of 2800-3400 to hook up my stove with a liner.

Second company came out, did an inspection and said the same - your chimney is in really great shape. They do not see the need for a liner and quoted me labor and materials for stove pipe to connect to the chimney in the basement - no liner needed. Cost about 500 bucks to hook it up.

Third company suggested a liner, but said it could go either way. I am waiting on his estimate for the work.

So, given the chimney is in great shape, what would you do? I have all the clearances needed in the basement from combustibles. Oh and all of them said the chimney has excellent draft when they took a look.

Appreciate the help and input!

The question is whether the chimney has proper clearances too. If it has 2" from combustibles all the way up through the house then it could be ok without a liner. We had an oil furnace chimney that was retrofitted into the house and had such clearances, but many do not.

I suppose it does not, the chimney runs along the house (wood siding) up through the soffet, and above the roof. Are you saying from the outside of the chimney or the inside liner for the 2" clearance?

I did get the last estimate which includes a fuller liner, insulated and all connections to the stove. Came out to 1,500 which is the middle of the road from the three companies i have dealt with. i am thinking i am going to go with these guys as i want to do this correctly and safely.

Outside of the chimney. If an exterior chimney then the clearance requirement is 1" I think.

Thanks! I'm going with the middle of the road estimate which relines my chimney with stainless and insulation around that. They are going to install a T at the bottom and use single wall stove pipe from the stove to the wall (no combustibles near as it's in my basement). Looking forward to some nice wood fired warmth come the 27!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk