Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
I called tree removal companies in the area to see if they had any pine they were looking to get rid of. Here is what it got me today.

score2.jpgscore1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Burning that will clog your chimney, raise your blood pressure and give you high cholesterol. >>

I thought lots of people burn with pine, as long as it is seasoned?

From woodheat.org:

"Keep in mind that people living in the coldest areas of North America have no hardwoods to burn and they get along just fine - their main firewood species are spruce and aspen. Ultimately, it is more important to have wood that is cut and split to the right size and properly dried than it is to get the hardest wood available."

He's kidding, it's perfectly fine firewood when properly seasoned. You have a whole lot of work to do, what are you doing fiddling around on your computer? ;lol

He's kidding, it's perfectly fine firewood when properly seasoned. You have a whole lot of work to do, what are you doing fiddling around on your computer? ;lol
Wow, all of a sudden I had a sinking feeling that I made a mistake or something!!!

I am new at this so I did not understand that BB was joking...

Now I just need to get a chainsaw.

Nice! I too called four different tree places earlier this week, and got my first call today. Snagged ~1/3 cord of Poplar in shorter lengths they already cut o_O I'll split it small-ish, and use it as kindling. Probably another cord in the trunk, but I didn't feel like cutting any there.

Reactions: isipwater
Yeah I was joking out of jealousy. ;lol

OK, chainsaw... will there be spousal protest? Don't forget the safety gear, dear! (seriously!). And once you've purchased the saw commit yourself to maintaining it properly...

("Safen up!" Homer Simpson)

isipwater - it's a good thing they came today before the thaw ...if they came on Monday that truck would likely sink into the mud up to the rims

Yeah I was joking out of jealousy. ;lol
Cholesterol and high blood pressure - I thought I was going to have a heart attack thinking I would have to pay someone to haul this load off my property!

Reactions: BrotherBart
isipwater - it's a good thing they came today before the thaw ...if they came on Monday that truck would likely sink into the mud up to the rims
true! Once I got home, I started wondering where my leaching field is and if I have created a septic problem - I guess I will have to look into this.

Or get out the one-man saw and you'll be strong as an ox by the time you're done... or sick of wood...
Actually, I have given some serious thought to getting a crosscut saw to cut the logs by hand. Unfortunately, I have a desk job and fear that my body might go into shock if I try to do this. I will probably get the chainsaw.

Here is the 3 foot crosscut saw I was considering. Can you imagine...no loud engine, no fumes, no gas, no special safety gear, no worries of slicing off a limb? I wonder if anybody on this forum uses one of these saws regularly?

saw.jpg
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003092/39491/lynx-3-one-man-crosscut-saw.aspx

I won't live long enough to buck your load with that saw. ;hm (especially if I were to try ;lol)

Reactions: fossil
My bet is with the pile sitting there all summer long rusty pickups will be stopping with guys offering to buck the stuff for a few bucks. Check your liability coverage on your homeowner's insurance in case one take off a leg or foot.

My bet is with the pile sitting there all summer long rusty pickups will be stopping with guys offering to buck the stuff for a few bucks. Check your liability coverage on your homeowner's insurance in case one take off a leg or foot.
Nice BB, you do like scaring me don't you. Have you ever heard of that happening before?

You always have to have people working on your property produce proof of insurance or be ready to cover it yourself. Most homeowner's policies cover $300K or so. Check yours.

Not scaring, advising. I am getting too worn out to cut and lug the stuff out of my woods here and the neighbor's kids are salivating to do it for a few bucks. Can't let'em do it. If they got hurt I would feel terrible and would probably end up paying for their parents houses and the kids' college.

You always have to have people working on your property produce proof of insurance or be ready to cover it yourself. Most homeowner's policies cover $300K or so. Check yours.

Not scaring, advising. I am getting too worn out to cut and lug the stuff out of my woods here and the neighbor's kids are salivating to do it for a few bucks. Can't let'em do it. If they got hurt I would feel terrible and would probably end up paying for their parents houses and the kids' college.
Good points; thanks for the advise!

Nice score!

I am a huge fan of hand tools (I cut hay with a scythe), but seriously, a decent chainsaw is going to pay dividends here. If you tried with a hand saw, even if it didn’t tire you out too quickly, it would take a long time to buck and that would be very frustrating for you.
Get a decent chainsaw, keep the chain sharp and the bar oiled and get some PPE, and that stack will be gold.

Reactions: isipwater
Status
Not open for further replies.