Scrounging Moratorium

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I got three (free) truckloads of alder yesterday, and I'm putting a stop to scrounging until 2010. I have enough wood to last through spring 2011.

This way I may actually be able to get all of the wood I've collected split.

Well done. I'm almost 3 years ahead but my parents are only about 1.5 ahead and they have a huge woodshed (20+ cord). I figure to take a break when their wood shed is full.

Just an FYI - that alder doesn't pack much heat and it gets punky very quickly. I'd put it at the front of your burning rotation for next year.

Ive gotton 5-6 chords of mostly oak out back needs drying and 2 big pick-up truck loads of pin-oak yesterday that needs splitting. Picking up another 2-3 pickup truck loads next week. Yep More Pin-oak ! This stuff is very dense and heavy ! I think its heavier then red oak, very close to white i think . I have multiple connections for wood so when the 8 chords gets down to half i just call up my Tree service friend. All i gotta do is go pick up the wood. I never run out.

WarmGuy said:
I got three (free) truckloads of alder yesterday, and I'm putting a stop to scrounging until 2010. I have enough wood to last through spring 2011.

c'mon you can't be serious. As soon as you see an easy score you won't be able to resist. The first step is to admin that you have a problem.

WarmGuy said:

If you keep at it, you might catch up with me....but probably not with Eric.

I wish I had this problem! I need a good, solid week off with nothing to do but work up wood for the coming years. Fortunately, our winters in Middle TN are relatively mild, so I don't have to stock up nearly as much as some of you folks. But I can't help feel a little envy when I read how far ahead some of you are.

that alder doesn’t pack much heat and it gets punky very quickly. I’d put it at the front of your burning rotation for next year.

Yes, I know what you mean. But it's a little difficult to arrange the wood so that the Alder comes up early next year. I was pretty happy with my last batch of Alder, so I'm hoping that if I keep it dry, it will stay good.

Warmguy: "I got three (free) truckloads of alder yesterday, and I’m putting a stop to scrounging until 2010."

I bet you can't do it. You'll stumble across something and rationalize getting it. Might not happen this week or this month, but it'll happen . . . unless you HATE the wood gathering process.

I'm guilty. I had enough to put me 2 years ahead (after this season's done) . . . then we had an ice storm. I turned to my wife and said, "Aye carumba, wood is FALLING FROM THE SKY!" It was understood that I should be back before dark . . . nearly a cord and a half later, I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.