Sealed bearings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Has anybody opened them up and serviced them like this? I’ve only soaked them down with penetrating oil. Maybe I’ll pull them apart next time!

I’ll try and repack. I repacked rollerblade sealed bearings u till they were completely worn out. If it’s anything where a failure would cause an issue it’s really not worth it to me. What are you saving? Mission/vacation critical parts I’m not going to skimp on. My time is worth something.

Reactions: fbelec and sloeffle
not worth the time and effort. Once you open them up you are creating a point where dust and crap can get it..

Reactions: fbelec
Not worth it. Only place I have many of those is on the wheels inside the track on my snowmobile. Common mode of failure for those is due to water ingestions, no amount of re-greasing fixes the pits in the balls or races.

Tapered wheel bearing on trailer and non driven car wheels can be worth repacking, but again any pitting or defects and they should be replaced. I'm at the point I just replace those now to when I repack them. For the $15 per wheel it's not worth trying to re-use.

If I’ve already got the whole bearing out so I can disassemble it, then IMO it’s better to just replace it right there. Cheap enough, and will likely last longer.

If it’s difficult or impossible to get the bearing out, then I’ll do what I can in place. Like on my pellet stove blowers I found that a shot of motor oil with an animal syringe works best and gets me through another season. Or the serpentine belt tensioner pulley in my car, with the belt off it just sounded dry, there was no chirps, roughness, binding, or play. (Had there been I would have replaced the part.) So I shot some grease behind the seal with a grease gun needle. Still working great 4 years later.

The work in any bearing I've ever done is getting them out and off the shaft. Why would you do anything other than put in a new bearing.
One thing I do on my motorcycle is use waterproof grease to pack on either side of the so called "sealed bearing". I'm hoping to prevent water from getting in.

I used to use polylube bearings on difficult to grease industrial bearings. I think SKF could make them to special order. The bearing cavity was filled with porous plastic that was saturated with a synthetic grease. When the bearing is cool the grease goes back into the cavities, but as it warmed up the grease came out of the voids and lubricated the balls or rollers. The claim was no need to grease for the life of the bearing. These were big bearings on large diameter low speed shafting.