sealing stove pipe joints?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Should I cement around the stovepipe joints to make it air tight? Should I seal around the stovepipe/thimble connection with gasketing cord? What agout stovepipe stove inlet connection. I can a small amount of light through each of these joints. Would sealing them increase draft through the stove? Would it decrease creosote production by limiting cold room air up the chimney?

Yes, it will help. I use Rutland black stove cement. Last year I didn't use it and when I cleaned the pipe there was dusty linty stuff around some of the seems. So I think it was sucking alot of air where it shouldn't. This year I layed a bead of cement on the female end, inserted male end, and used 3 sheet metel screws to attach pipe sections together.

Status
Not open for further replies.