seasoned firewood 100 / cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
seasoned firewood $100 / cord.

A guy I Know stoped by yesterday and we got talking about firewood and he tells me he has seasoned fire wood he will sell me for 100/cord. In the next sentence he's telling me that they just buked the dead
oak tree last week. HMMMMM I asked if i could check it with my meter then he wasn't quite so sure how seasoned it really was. Might still by a cord and save it for next year. I have plenty of my own to cut
but for $100.00 / cord delivered I may just splurg. HE said it has some ash in it to so thats probably close to dry becouse most ash here has been dead for at least 2 years.

I can't imagine selling a seasoned split cord for a hundred bucks. Of course, I can't imagine paying that much either.

Depends what a fully seasoned cord goes for in your area. Of course, fully seasoned around here means cut/split/stacked for 12 months or more and costs $200 mixed to $275/$300 for all oak.

Shari.

standing dead sure seems to season a lot better than lying down.
I've had some ( cut down in Oct/Nov that would have been ready by March / April if I had needed it.
hard as a rock, though

not so well seasoned oak was almost 300 a cord around here, about the only thing that seems to be keeping the price down is so much of the red oak is dying and the landscapers/ arborists are busy keeping it from falling on houses built in the oak woods 20 years ago.

If you are inclined to buy your wood, $100 for a hardwood cord is a great price regardless of how well its seasoned.

Not so fast here!!! Is this a real cord of wood or a face cord? There is a huge difference. If it is a true cord then $100 is a great price. If it is not a real cord, then it is a bad price.

Well said, well spoken, Savage!!

I just split about two face cord of black locust that was standing dead according to the guy who delivered it to me. Most of the bark was starting to fall off, but it has been sitting in a pile in my back yard for 3 months, then bucked about a month ago and left to sit until yesterday. Most of it was dry, dry, dry when I split it, but several rounds still have a ways to go before I'd burn them. Only way to tell is to buy some and split it yourself. Which I'm sure you will if that is in fact a full cord for that price. That's wicked cheap for green wood around here.

For 100 a true full cord delivered I would order 5-8 of them and let em dry!

Backwoods Savage said:
Not so fast here!!! Is this a real cord of wood or a face cord? There is a huge difference. If it is a true cord then $100 is a great price. If it is not a real cord, then it is a bad price.

He said it was two heaping full size truck loads. I hate to pay for wood when I have a tons of ash that need cut, but at that price..... Wood usually goes for around $140 here but is hard to find well seasoned unless ash.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Hell, for $100 a cord of hardwood, assuming you don't need wood for this year, who cares how well it's seasoned? It'll dry fine!

~Rose
I think I have enough wood to get threw the winter so seasoned isn't a issue. I usually cut in the winter when work gets slow. but mabey I can cut a little bit less this year and find somthing else productive to do at that price.

SolarAndWood said:
I can't imagine selling a seasoned split cord for a hundred bucks. Of course, I can't imagine paying that much either.

I couldn't imagine selling a cord for that price either. Thats a lot of work for $100.00 but I also don't like paying for somthing I can get for free.

If it is a real cord and you can wait a year to burn it, go for it.

2 truck loads may not be a cord, you can tell after you stack it. But no matter what it is a good deal, dry or not dry. I have cut some dead oak this year that is dryer than almost anything I have seasoned. Especially white oak. I have never paid for wood, and probably never will, but I cannot imagine doing that much work for $100.

A full-size truck with an 8' bed will hold half a cord if stacked tight and up to the bed rails. A mid-size truck will hold about a third of a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.