Seasoned firewood in Rhode Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogmoose

Nov 21, 2013
Warwick, RI
Hey guys .. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a good seasoned firewood supplier in the Rhode Island area. I look on Craigslist often but a part of me feels like it is a 50-50 shot. Let me know
Thanks

Finding truly seasoned wood at this time of year is very hard. Be skeptical and test some splits off the truck before they start unloading. Resplit the splits and test moisture content on the freshly exposed face of wood. If possible try to get some ash, it needs the least drying time.

I checked Google and found:
http://www.yellowpages.com/warwick-ri/firewood-for-sale

this place claims to have seasoned wood for $240/cord
http://yardstickinc.com/firewood

Hey guys .. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a good seasoned firewood supplier in the Rhode Island area. I look on Craigslist often but a part of me feels like it is a 50-50 shot. Let me know
Thanks

50/50 is very optimistic. Probably 90/10

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yah, if your buying "seasoned" wood on Craigslist, anywhere in the country that I know of, first buy your own moisture meter, learn how to use it on your own wood pile, and then measure the splits available for sale before you open your wallet.

As begreen pointed out above, get your maul going and split open a few splits so you can measure - on the freshly exposed face- how wet is the inside of these splits.

Up here in the boreal forest where all there is is either "brich" or spruce" I can pretty well tell dry spruce just by handling a few sticks. Birch is a lttle trickier, but doable. Back east where you got all those dozens of differrent trees, wow, I would need a MM in my pocket for many many seasons before I was comfortable buying wood on craigslist without one.

measure the splits available for sale before you open your wallet.
That's the way I would do it, not wait 'til the guy goes to the trouble to load it, then reject the load when he gets to your house. You know what you want; Put forth a little effort to go and find it.

Joe's Firewood: 401-413-2948

Don't know if he has any seasoned left at this point, but I bought 12 cord from him earlier this year (6 seasoned/6 green). Good quality mixed hardwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.