Second pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBear-Lio

Aug 1, 2009
New Brunswick - Canada
Hi there
I'm new here as member, but I read this forum by long time.
I have a few question for you..... but before I advise that my english is bad :$ because it's not my native language, so be patient with me :)
I live in New Brunswick Atlantic Canada and I own already a very good pellet stove, the Harman 68P.
Till now I have used the electric heat air central with the stove to heat my home. Here obviously is very cold and the winter is long (But i love it).

I have a very large main floor (about 2100 sqf) with cathedral ceiling in the formal sitting and dining room and with an open staircaise for the upstairs.Half part of the second floor is open on the main floor.
I write this to try to be clear :)
The Harman is in the family room open on the kitchen and the daily dining room, but there is no doors anywhere and air can circulate freely.
Obviously the only Harman cannot heat all the home, so i decide to take off the gas fireplace insert (It'is new but I don't like it) and put a new pellet stove.The fireplace is in the sitting room that is really very "formal" and the Harman style is not the right style.
So I was interesting to the Omega or the Maxx: they have the same heating capability than the Harman and both have a large hopper.
My question is:
1) because of the hight of the ceiling I need to have more fan power or am I wrong?
2) I read all the 3d here on the forum About Omega and Maxx, it seems to be both good stove and for sure I'm not able to compare with my Harman
(I'm really very satisfied on the P68), I see that there is someone that heat all 3 floor with an Omega (but I don't know how are the temperature outside.... here -20 Celsius is normal [-4 fahrenheit]) so I think that 2 stove like my Harman and an Omega can do the same on the 2 upper floor of my home. What do you think?
3) I think that I used my Harman in the wrong way, but I bought that As soon as I came here in Canada and it was so hard to understand what I have to do for the regulation of pellet feed and temperature and so on. So can you help me to better understand how I have to setup my stove to have the best ratio between heat and pellet consuption.
4) last question.... Where can I find the alternative fuel for the Omega? Last year it was a really big mess here to find the pellet and I would like this year to have more choice to switch on.

I hope that my poor english is understandable.... my native language is italian, so different :D:D

Thanks a lot and have a great weekend.

A ceiling fan may be a alternative as far as distributing the heat. It makes a big difference for us if I have it on or not.
If you are satisfied with the P-68 Harman I would think about getting another one like it. Reason being you will have two of the same thing and can use that to your advantage to figure out what is wrong if one acts up.

If you decide to go with the Omega or the Maxx? I would lean towards the Omega. Just about the same money But has the added feature to burn Multi fuels. Even if you aren't planning to burn Multi fuel. Its a great feature because you can burn even the worst pellets available.

Personally I will never buy just a pellet stove. For just a little more cash you can have a stove that's flex-able in a market of scarce fuel supplies. Crap pellets burn very close to good pellets in my Omega. Just have to empty the ash pan a little more often.

just my 2
jay

Thanks for the reply :)
About the ceiling fan....I forgot to mention it: I have a big ceiling fan where I have the highest ceiling. For the last years I have not used the ceiling fan but only the continuous fan from the air heating vent fan.
I don't fknow now the price for the Harman P68 and the Enviro (and if I choose the Enviro I think will be the Omega), but 3 years ago the Harman was a lot more expensive than the Enviro.
The problem will be for sure to find the different fuel. Do you know if there is brand name to search for?

Status
Not open for further replies.