Second year improvements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Last year was my first season with the Jotul 550. Put about a cord through it, some wood was a bit iffy. Even the better stuff was always out in the weather.

For this season I framed up a 10 x 5' awning off my tool shed for a wood shed, that should help alot. The wood is now about 2.5 years since it was split (mostly BL).

Got my chimney cleaned this weekend.

Got my 100 ct box of super cedars coming. Bring it on I'm ready.

As far as the chimney, wasn't too bad but there was some light crunchy creosote that formed on top of the right side baffle. Was like a porous brick a good inch thick and big as my hand. Anyone seen something similar?

Was definitely messing up the air flow in the box, not a good sign. Used Creo soot spray but have to burn hotter I guess but wasn't always possible, better fuel should help. Need some of that BWS 10 year oak!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I don't think I've seen it that thick, but I've knocked down plenty at my old house that had an external terra cotta lined chimney. It's good that it's out of there and you're set for the coming season!

Matt

Never seen creosote that thick hope things work out better this winter.

Never seen creosote that thick hope things work out better this winter.
Thanks I hope it does too. I saved the pieces so I could see exactly what I was dealing with. Maybe I'll post a pic. Took the baffles and burn tubes down for the sweep and this chunk dropped out. I should drop them now and then so I can inspect properly before it gets out of hand again.

For sure that wood will be a lot better now. That will be your big helper.

Status
Not open for further replies.