Secondary tube hole placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
This is sort of a survey on the location of the holes on secondary tubes. The mount for mine came loose last year and held in place with some angle iron and stainless clamps. Right now they are aimed slightly down from directly at the glass as that is what the picture / sketch in the manual shows and no until if came loose I paid no attention to where they were aimed. I have looked at pictures of other stoves and they seem to point mostly down towards the floor of the fire box.. I only have the one tube at the very front of the firebox and no other source of air. I am wondering is this is part of the problems I have been going through with the fire dying out when I get close to the minimum air opening as it seems like the air could just short circuit straight up the chimney rather than feed the fire.

Most of the stoves I've dealt with seem to have the secondary air tube holes aimed parallel to the baffle. Maybe it's because as the gases move past the tube(s) to get around the baffle & into the flue collar, the flow DRAWS secondary air out of the tubes to mix with those gases & combust. Just a thought...

Most of the stoves I've dealt with seem to have the secondary air tube holes aimed parallel to the baffle. Maybe it's because as the gases move past the tube(s) to get around the baffle & into the flue collar, the flow DRAWS secondary air out of the tubes to mix with those gases & combust. Just a thought...
I am going to have to get the dremel out with a small cut off saw to I can get the old rusted coupler off and make a new one. I called a couple of dealers and the price of a new tube with coupler was breath taking and no idea of if and when they could get one. It is a mid 90's stove and in retrospect I should have bought a cheap more modern one with a firebox around 1.7 cu ft that can takes a 18 to 19 inch split.

Status
Not open for further replies.