Seeking advice on Enviro Maxx: Basement install / noise level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTrider

Hearth Supporter
I know there are a few Enviro Maxx / VistaFlame VF170 owners on this board, just looking for some first hand experience/advice on this pellet stove.

We are in the planning process right now of switching out our heating situation for the upcoming season from a wood stove to a pellet stove - this will be a basement install and also our main source of heat. I'm aware of the pros/cons of this type of install situation and the challenges which It poses, been heating our home w/woodstove this way for 7 years and although I realize that a pellet stove is not a wood stove - the plan is to make this work.

So......part of this big picture was to go with something of a workhorse, a stove which offered a lot of BTUs - after weighing my options, I kept of finding myself looking at the Enviro Maxx. Luckily for me, there's a local family pellet stove business just down the road who I have an existing relationship with already, and they are an Enviro dealer - win-win. All my cards seemed to be lining up perfectly, but then of course I run into a snag. My wife is concerned that the 455cfm blower on this unit could create an annoying / distracting environment. From what I understand, the convection blower has variable speeds which seems relative to the 5 settings? Although it may be running 24/7, I doubt it will continually be on the highest setting. So will I be living with a jet engine in my basement? :)

It may be a little on the loud side, but you will get used to it. The highest setting most people run it on is 2-3. The Maxx is definately a workhorse. Not the greatest looking stove but it throws amazing heat. Have you seen / heard of the Maxx-M? Same stove just different burn pot. It has an agitator in the burn pot which practically cleans itself, plus you can burn different fuels besides pellets if your heart desires.

CJ-SR4ever said:
It may be a little on the loud side, but you will get used to it. The highest setting most people run it on is 2-3. The Maxx is definately a workhorse. Not the greatest looking stove but it throws amazing heat. Have you seen / heard of the Maxx-M? Same stove just different burn pot. It has an agitator in the burn pot which practically cleans itself, plus you can burn different fuels besides pellets if your heart desires.

Just as CJ said it above ^ ^ Spend the money and get the Maxx-M. You wont regret it in a few years. j-takeman on this site has the Omega (sister stove w/ same burn pot design) and loves it. Will burn anything he throws in the hopper and it does it effiently. He also did an update on his Omega and put the blower from the Maxx on his stove (again same chassis). A simple search will come up with this info. His stove is also in the basement. Being downstairs, I do not think the noise will be a problem. Unless you spend a lot of your time down there. Even then, you can adjust the convection rate. Its a lot of stove. You should be pretty happy.

The fan is big, but noise level is not obscene. The biggest noise issue i have had with 170's is auger noise as it ages. It's a 3rpm motor, but for some reason, after a year or so, the noise you hear from it does increase during auger cycling. We had to replace the motor in our warehouse unit after 2 yrs, b/c the thing started making grinding noises.

I've probably read every Enviro Maxx thread on this Forum, including the modification one you mentioned by J-Takeman. So it sounds like the Maxx-M is basically the replacement for the Omega, i've read a lot of positive reviews on the Omega but not much on the Maxx-M - probably because it's relatively new? If it's anything like the Omega it sounds like it would be a good deal as well, unfortunately I think its priced higher than the standard Maxx and may be out of my price range? It would be nice to have a multi-stove one day, but for now I don't mind just sticking with pellets.

Actually, I would be interested in knowing if there are any significant advantages in going with the Maxx-M over the Maxx other than fuel type? For example if it is more tolerant to sub-par pellets than the Maxx, realiability issues, etc - this would be more of a selling point for me.

The difference would be night and day. Even if your burning just pellets. The "Agitator" in the burn pot is what gives the Omega such Rave Reviews... Go with what you can afford. But in the long run, Multi-Fuel is the only way. With just pellets they keep the burn pot free of "Clinkers" and Ash Cake.... I am trying to sell my Quadrafire CB 1200 to buy a Omega or Englander 10-CPM. Only had it 3 years and want something that can burn 50 bags (1 ton) of pellets without opening door (Did you read that thread? imacman's 10-CPM Ran like 60 bags/cant remember exact #).....Found 3 Omegas at a dealer in Tenn. Yeah its 11 hrs away. But if I can get one for the right price...... Cheers.

VTrider said:
I've probably read every Enviro Maxx thread on this Forum, including the modification one you mentioned by J-Takeman. So it sounds like the Maxx-M is basically the replacement for the Omega, i've read a lot of positive reviews on the Omega but not much on the Maxx-M - probably because it's relatively new? If it's anything like the Omega it sounds like it would be a good deal as well, unfortunately I think its priced higher than the standard Maxx and may be out of my price range? It would be nice to have a multi-stove one day, but for now I don't mind just sticking with pellets.

Actually, I would be interested in knowing if there are any significant advantages in going with the Maxx-M over the Maxx other than fuel type? For example if it is more tolerant to sub-par pellets than the Maxx, realiability issues, etc - this would be more of a selling point for me.

because they made the M55 and they stole their own thunder and started competing with themselves.

My 2 cents on the multifuel option has been posted here several times. Its well worth the extra cash and I will never go back to just plain pellet only after having a multifueler!

Even if your just going to burn pellets, It's going to burn even the low grade stuff with less hassle's for you. I personally have burned several batches of pellets that would give my buds EF3(same basic burnpot as the Maxx) fits. Dirty/clogged burnpot, missed relights and backed up to the chute with pellets. I burned 2 straight weeks with a pellet that was called dirt(over 1% ash content) in a bag, Stove never missed a beat and happily relight on the next stat calling. I burned off close to a ton of it And I still only did my weekly Sunday morning cleaning ritual. The best part is that the M55/Maxx M/Omega cleans their pot just before each shutdown for better light-ups. Mine has never missed a beat. I don't like waking up to a cold house!

If you can swing the extra cost? Its a nice feature to have! Not to mention being able to burn other fuels if pellets get scarce!

Reactions: stayfitz
Status
Not open for further replies.