Seven Wood Burning Videos From the HPBA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I like in the first video how they decipher which kind of stove you have. "If the Logs inside the stove dont come out.....you probably have a gas stove".....and I just thought I was getting infinite burn times! :lol:

Not bad....but did you see all that smoke pouring out the door when the guy was reloading the stove. Rookie :lol:

I saw the guy put the kindling and then the splits in that non-cat and immediately shut down the primary air. Now I know where all of those people that can't get their stoves to burn went before coming here.

Good introductory set of instructions. If I had at least that much information when I started out, I am not sure I would have found hearth.com. Good, but no Vanessa (I have to put in one flag wave per day or I get taxed, actually I think I get taxed per wave, but there is a one wave min.) :-S

One of the funniest was watching the guy clean out the ashes. If this is how people do it, I can see why they have problems with dust in the air. It is hard to believe they even showed that.

Ja, definitely a "how NOT to do it" example with the ashes. They do however make a good point about the differences in how to load EPA cat versus non-cat stoves. Very often people here will get downright evangelistic about a particular loading style without giving consideration to whether it is cat or non-cat.

hilly said:
I don't do the typical top-down fire, but I sure don't start with five to ten rolled up balls of newspaper either!

Boy I sure am thankful the Boston Globe didn't go out of business.
I would've had to wait 'till Sunday to light a top down fire.
I think I'm going to try developing a "side across fire".
Or maybe I'll start a new organization, the CPA (CommonSense Protection Agency)
Look for Ratman's youtube video set "Dave Ocho Cinco's Kiss the Baby - How to Light a Freakin Fire"
So easy a caveman can do it.

Stated in one of the videos was that it's better to leave a bed (maybe an inch) of ashes on the floor of the firebox when cleaning it out, that this is better than burning on the bare floor of the firebox. Is there any truth to that?

The ideal level of ashes will vary by stove model and desired effect. I get the most heat out of my stove when there is very little ash buildup but I preserve coals longer when there is more buildup. I time the ash removal with the need for heat and for coals in the morning.

Yes, the ashes help to insulate the bottom of the firebox and make the coals last longer. I like about 2 inches of ashes in my stove, it burns better that way.

Adabiviak said:
Stated in one of the videos was that it's better to leave a bed (maybe an inch) of ashes on the floor of the firebox when cleaning it out, that this is better than burning on the bare floor of the firebox. Is there any truth to that?

For me and my stove the answer is yes . . . I notice a very different burn time and heat output when there is an inch or two of ash in the stove which is why (unlike most of last year) I do not clean out the firebox when I clean out my ash pan every week. The insulation helps insulate the base of the stove . . . and helps preserve coals which is useful for those overnight burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.