Severe Weather 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Had a zoom meeting with Jim and Brenda Gordon and their daughters. I follow their you tube blog "Working Horses with Jim". He farms and logs with heavy horses up there. Very enjoyable viewing every day.
The cold front is still west of Rochester coming this way, we're still just above 57 with the wind gust picking up.

Reactions: rottiman
Passed thru here the last 1/2 hour. Temp went up to 46 and has now dropped to 43. We had thunder and lightning plus the wind has picked up quite a bit.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Lost a 60 to 70 foot 18" diameter tree in my front yard today. Looks like tomorrow we will be cleaning that up.
They were calling for gusts of 50+, and I'd bet we got it.
What type of tree?

It's humping it up pretty good at the moment, the strongest wind gust we've had. The lights flickered for the third time so we might lose power.

All around us is without power and ours has been flickering without losing it yet, I doubt we'll make it through the night without losing it but we'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

It's humping it up pretty good at the moment, the strongest wind gust we've had. The lights flickered for the third time so we might lose power.
Blowing hard here now. Provincial Police have all sorts of tree down , hydro wires down and power outages in this area. Temp has gone from 46 to 39 in the last 3 hours. So far so good here.

Very, very windy here. But still 55 F. Low if 42. Tomorrow 46.

Power stable so far. Be safe, everyone. And please consider donating to e.g..the red cross or whichever carries your favor. Those in KY and nearby states could use the help.

Blowing hard here now. Provincial Police have all sorts of tree down , hydro wires down and power outages in this area. Temp has gone from 46 to 39 in the last 3 hours. So far so good here.
I'm not sure how but so far we haven't lost power yet, the winds are still cranking it up here.

8229 without power in our county but so far we've lucked out.

We made it through without losing power but when we were sleeping overnight, we lost cable which includes our landline phone, that just came back.

Glad you made it through ok!

I got 30+ rounds out of my fallen tree this morning. Tomorrow I'll move them, Tuesday I hope to split.

After further review, I think it may be White Oak. Roughly 20" at the base.

Lost power at 10 last night due to 3 snapped poles a couple of roads over. Got it back around noon, about 4 minutes after I got done wiring my dad's generator into the barn subpanel so I could run the well pump. Story of my life haha
The highest wind they reported up this way was in Malone NY, 71 mph.

page-3-2.jpg

hd24.jpeg

page-5-1.jpg

Not much in the forecast for the east coast yet, stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzerbear
We hit 61 today with a cold front moving in tonight, they say we could have wind gust just over 50 mph.
image1.png

60 and 70 mph winds here. Nothing out of the ordinary but it still always makes me nervous. Power went out earlier.

I hit 62f but it had to have been in the middle of the night. It was 55f when I went to bed. It was 35f at least by late morning when I checked.

I think we lost a few shingles, we had 62f here at almost exactly 6:00am, I was up as the winds had started shaking the house by that time. Been waiting for the wind to die down all day to check things more thoroughly, still waiting.... Power crews been waiting out the winds in some areas too until the wind speed comes down.

This isn't severe but it will be nice having some snow on the ground. NOAA is calling for 3-6 inches in our area.
StormTotalSnow.jpg

Yea I drove to Burlington VT when I was younger and a very pretty town but I imagine it is a lot more busy now-- (where the map came out of)...We had a lot of wind here a few days ago and I was afraid my smoke stack was going to blow off as well as my "fly pen" and yard fencing but today we had just beautiful temperatures maybe about 50 some but very very cold in the morning--freezing so I lite my stove and had a delightful day...Thanks for the nice mapping and glad you just have some snow and nothing hectic...Now nice weather is coming for my area and high 50's on Sunday and no snow so far...clancey

There's a new system supposedly hitting our area Thursday & Friday this week, tonight Accu is calling for 5 - 11 of snow, we'll see how much it changes during the week.

They had predicted snow today. I believe 1-3". All stayed south of us. Got 3 flurries only.

Supposed to have our coldest air yet of the season this week, maybe down to -10f Thursday night. Not out of the ordinary for this time of year. Always hard telling with the snow. I got a new belt I wanna try out for my snowblower so we probably won’t get much.