Shelter For The Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Fire Guy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2010
Burlington, CT
Just bought a new fireplace insert, Jotul Rockland 550. It is not even installed yet, but I am already thinking about the things that I will need to do to keep the insert fed for years to come. Currently on my mind is building a woodshed to store/dry the oak trees that I have already picked to drop and split for future burning. Any recommendations on where to find plans/designs for a great woodshed that will hold 2-3 cords of split wood?

Can’t wait to fire up the Jotul!

There are lots of basic plans on the internet, just google wood shed plans. There are also lots of pictures here of woodsheds. Some simple and some good enough to live in. Search the woodshed forum for woodshed. Here's a recent beauty going up:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62514/
fossil's Taj Mahlog: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19738/
Pagey's: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40995/#444523
Mine: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19703/

Welcome to the forums and congratulations for the new stove. That is a real beauty.

Or mine(which, just by chance(not), is just like the others). If you havn't noticed, we like to plageurize each others woodsheds! ;-)

Attachments

• full shed 2.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 1,300
Here is mine:
Wood Shed

Obviously, it holds more than you want, but it may give you some additional ideas.

Here's mine before the rest of the bracing was done. Holds four cords easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,175
Welcome to the forum New Fire Guy.

You'll find plenty of plans, however I do want to throw a caution to you. First, most folks will season their wood outside...before putting it inside a shed. Second, you will find that oak needs 2-3 years after it has been cut to length, split and stacked out in the wind to dry. Oak is one of the slowest woods to dry and if you try to burn it before its time, you will have lots and lots of problems with poor results on the fires, sizzling wood and big time creosote problems in both the stove and the chimney.

This is one of the most difficult part of wood burning that new wood burners have to learn. Wood is not like oil or gas and even if you buy the wood already split you will find it is not dry enough for a good fire. I'm not sure where you will find good firewood at this time of they year but you'll need to search. Some people also will scrounge pallets to burn along with freshly bought wood and that gets them by the first year or two of wood burning but it is still a poor substitute for good dry firewood. I don't mean to rain on your parade but do want to make you aware of a possible problem so you can make the proper adjustments.

Good luck.

schortie said:
Here's mine before the rest of the bracing was done. Holds four cords easily.

That would make an awesome run in shed :coolsmile:

John M had an awesome shed. Paging John M, paging John M :p

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned several guys here have built woodsheds . . . do what we all have done . . . take a look at the various designs and then build one that works for you in terms of size, construction material, etc.

Here's my shed . . . before it was filled.

Attachments

• frontwoodshed.jpg
    frontwoodshed.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • SideB.jpg
    SideB.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,022
Holy smokes Jake, how many cords can you fit in that shed?

weatherguy said:

I figure 10-11 cords . . . figuring conservatively. Two years worth of wood . . . I like to make sure I have plenty of wood . . . just in case we get hammered.

firefighterjake said:
weatherguy said:

I figure 10-11 cords . . . figuring conservatively. Two years worth of wood . . . I like to make sure I have plenty of wood . . . just in case we get hammered.

"hammered"? whats drinkn' got to do with wood storage? You from Maine or what? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice looking woodshed.

fdegree said:
Here is mine:
Wood Shed

Obviously, it holds more than you want, but it may give you some additional ideas.

Real nice shelter you built there! I like the horizontal sides and dividers idea!

Ray

firefighterjake said:
Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned several guys here have built woodsheds . . . do what we all have done . . . take a look at the various designs and then build one that works for you in terms of size, construction material, etc.

Here's my shed . . . before it was filled.

Excellent shed Jake! Rough sawn pine I assume?

Ray

John_M said:
Here is my new shed - just finished this fall. It is now filled with four cords of very nice hard maple for burning during the winter of 2011/2012. My friends seem t like it (the shed and the wood).

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61234/

Thank you Eileen. You are wonderful! ;-)

John_M

Awesome shed John, looks nice and industrial strength at the same time..

Ray

here is my redneck woodshed.... cost next to nothing.. Wife calls it our Bayou Shack

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 914
Here's a simple shelter that can be built with left over branches from the tree where you got your firewood from.
reddshed.jpg

Carbon_Liberator said:
Here's a simple shelter that can be built with left over branches from the tree where you got your firewood from.
reddshed.jpg

If you look closely you can see Les Stroud peeking out from the back :)

Ray

Here’s a simple shelter that can be built with left over branches from the tree where you got your firewood from.

I think you found big foots home

raybonz said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
reddshed.jpg

If you look closely you can see Les Stroud peeking out from the back :)

Ray

Blah hahaha!! Good call Ray! CarbonLib why don't you post a pic of your gloriousness so the newbie can drool over it like the rest of us?

DaFattKidd said:
Blah hahaha!! Good call Ray! CarbonLib why don't you post a pic of your gloriousness so the newbie can drool over it like the rest of us?
Thanks FattKidd, I'd like to comply, but I think that is frowned upon in this forum, so I'll post a picture of my woodshed instead. ;-)
woopileOct122010.JPG

Carbon_Liberator said:
DaFattKidd said:
Thanks FattKidd, I'd like to comply, but I think that is frowned upon in this forum, so I'll post a picture of my woodshed instead. ;-)

How do you manage with such a dinky shelter? :) Awesome shelter!

Ray

Carbon_Liberator said:
raybonz said:
How do you manage with such a dinky shelter? :)

Ray
What are you implying? besides, it's not the size that counts :red:

In this case size does matter! Guess I suffer from shed envy....

Ray

Thank you everyone for all of the great pictures that have been posted. They have given me a number of ideas that I will try to incorporate in my shed design. I like the multiple bay concept... something I was not initially considering. I am also thinking about building something bigger than I was initially thinking about. Once up in Spring/Summer 2011, I will post pictures of the end result.

Status
Not open for further replies.