Shopping for 8" Double wall SS pipe...who has the best deal going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor7

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
East TN.
My log house is almost in the dry. I will be moving my Hearthstone H1 into the basement in a couple of weeks. The flue run from the basement to roof will be about 22'. There are some close tolerances where the pipe goes through the main floor joists, and this is a corner installation, so the pipe will average around 12" off the wall.

I will be doing my own installation(also building the house myself) and have been shopping flue pipe and fittings, There are a lot of company's out there on the web, so can anyone recommend one they have experience with?

The Hearthstone is going in the lower left side of the basement. I made the garage door high enough to drive the tractor inside with pallets of wood on the forks:

Attachments

• Roof Foam & Basement work 017 (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large) (Large
    189.3 KB · Views: 345
Motor7 said:
My log house is almost in the dry. I will be moving my Hearthstone H1 into the basement in a couple of weeks. The flue run from the basement to roof will be about 22'. There are some close tolerances where the pipe goes through the main floor joists, and this is a corner installation, so the pipe will average around 12" off the wall.

I will be doing my own installation(also building the house myself) and have been shopping flue pipe and fittings, There are a lot of company's out there on the web, so can anyone recommend one they have experience with?

The Hearthstone is going in the lower left side of the basement. I made the garage door high enough to drive the tractor inside with pallets of wood on the forks:

Not sure if they have Menard's that far south, but that's where I picked mine up. It was pretty inexpensive compared to others and the quality seems good.

Motor7 said:

You are actually looking for Class A pipe not double wall going through your 2nd floor penatration and up. Double wall pipe before that.

I have Super Vent I bought it from Lowe's. Got it a cost I knew some that work for Lowe's and had them to order it for me it take about 14 day to get it in.

So yesterday PM, I fired off an email to 6 different businesses that sell stove pipe and advertise on the net. I gave all the measurements and a list of what I thought I needed along with all my contact info. As of this evening I have ONE response.... wow, the economy must be doing so well businesses are not interested in a pit-full $2K+ sale.

Motor7, I just installed Selkirk's Supervent in my home. The link below shows the installation process. While I installed 6" class A chimney pipe, they also make an 8" class A chimney. While I purchased mine from Menards, Lowe's carries the same thing. Also, go to the post office and get a couple of the moving packets, which contain Lowe's 10% off coupons.

My chimney cost about $500. The dealer where I purchased my stove offered me a discount for a similar product at about $900.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82969/P0/

Ok, Wood, I'll check with Lowes. I am also getting a quote from the one guy that answered at VentingPipe dot com.

jeff_t said:
CALL Sean at http://www.dynamitebuys.com/. Busy time of the year for that kind of business. Patience.

While I've never dealt with dynamitebuys.com, this vendor gets posted a lot here. That says a lot. Definitely worth looking at.

One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of damage during shipping. I bought stock parts through Menards for my installation and have been very happy with the Selkirk SuperVent products. All the stock items were free from damage. So, I decided to order Selkirk's double wall stove pipe product (DSP line), particularly one piece of their telescoping pipe 39"-69". This allows me to use just one piece of stove pipe for my installation - one joint at the chimney connection and one joint at the stove connection.

Well, guess what happened! Damage! I ordered it the first time, got it home and opened it up. One end was mangled. I took it back to Menards. Menards re-ordered. I got a replacement part within 7 or 8 days. I was going to open the box in the store but the packaging was perfect. I took it home and opened it. The same end was mangled. So, I take it back to Menards. Menards calls Selkirk and explains, requesting that the item be separately inspected prior to special packaging and shipping. I'm waiting for the stove pipe.

The good thing is that Menards does NOT charge shipping on their special orders for the chimney/stove pipe products. The bad news is this is all taking about a month.

The odd thing is this: Selkirk must have shipped me damaged parts both times because the box it came in was very well braced and free from damage.

I bought Selkirk 6" Class A a few years ago. Got it from Polstiens Home and Beyond. At the time they were the cheapest I could find. Web site is www.homeandbeyond.com.

1 thru wall kit
2 6x48 pipe
2 6x36 pipe
$657 incl shipping

I talked to Sean this morning, and thanks he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Waiting for a quote..........

I dealt with Sean too. Best prices around. I don't think he stocks Selkirk. According to his terms, it's 10 days to order + 2 weeks shipping.

However, I received my Selkirk order in about 10 days.

Motor7 said:
I talked to Sean this morning, and thanks he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Waiting for a quote..........

And getting knowledgable customer service to boot. Suspect you'll end up pleased. Read posts from many others who were. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.