Shorter Rear-Exit Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
Looking for stoves that are slightly shorter than an old VC Vigilant (~31", according to the manual). Also looking for a 6" flue size. Something that fits these requirements might be an easy way to do a correct some existing install problems, get a new stove, and take advantage of the tax credit.

Before suggesting anything, what are the heating needs for the stove? What size is required? Also, is 31" at the top of the flue collar?

My Oslo is under 31" to the top of the flue (about 29") when rear exiting.

Woodstock's stoves are rear venting and 26" to top of flue collar.

BeGreen said:
Before suggesting anything, what are the heating needs for the stove? What size is required? Also, is 31" at the top of the flue collar?

Good questions. Space we're heating is on the lower floor at the end of the house that has no ventilation from our natural gas furnace. Both it and the room above it (~23' x 21') are fairly large unheated spaces at the east end. At the least, we want to be able to heat the lower room very well. Given the stairs being about 20 feet from the stove, we can also get considerable heat rising up the stairs to the rest of the house. Upstairs floorspace is very open and ~1700 SF. Downstairs is much more compartmentalized (more rooms).

Main use for the space is watching the tube in the evenings when we eat dinner, so absolute minimum is a stove that can heat that space fairly quickly for a few hours. As I work from home and like to run the stove, the long end is for me to run it all or most of the day, as it can greatly supplement our furnace. Given the location (end of the house), it won't replace it completely.

Measured the top of collar on the VC Vigilant as 32-3/4". The top of my existing flue access is an 8" Class A section, with a max height of 32-3/8", and about 24-3/4" at the bottom. So, the concept would be to pass some 6" double wall pipe through the 8" Class A to a 6" flue liner. If the 6" is centered in the 8", it will give enough clearance from the mantle trim, which is 5.5 " above the crown of the Class A (see picture). We had used the Vigilant in what turns out to be fireplace mode (internal damper opened) for about ten years, and it served us well. Don't know how much more heat that stove would've put out had we operated it as intended (internal damper closed once heated up).

Attachments

• Area view 2.jpg
    Area view 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 427
We also prefer the look of cast iron (or matte black), and definitely want to be able to view the fire. So, among the three brands/models suggested so far, the Jotul may be slightly preferred. Still, will run appearances past my spouse in the next few hours.

Todd said:

Seems like the Woodstock stoves have a minimum 7" flue. Unless I can fit 7" double wall pipe through an 8" Class A, I think these are out for me.

JV_Thimble said:
Todd said:

Seems like the Woodstock stoves have a minimum 7" flue. Unless I can fit 7" double wall pipe through an 8" Class A, I think these are out for me.

The Fireview vents a 6" and the Keystone vents either 6 or 7".

Todd said:
JV_Thimble said:
Todd said:

Thanks, Todd - Was actually having a bit of a hard time finding specs on their webpage. I take it you really like your Woodstock stoves. Any thoughts on log lengths that might fit in the various models? Would want something that takes at least 18" wood to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you would be well served by a 2-2.5 cu ft stove. I like the Fireview or Oslo suggestions.

JV_Thimble said:
Todd said:
JV_Thimble said:
Todd said:

Thanks, Todd - Was actually having a bit of a hard time finding specs on their webpage. I take it you really like your Woodstock stoves. Any thoughts on log lengths that might fit in the various models? Would want something that takes at least 18" wood to be on the safe side.

16" is recommended and 18" is max for all Woodstock stoves but the Fireview can squeeze in an occasional 20 incher right up against the loading door. I like anywhere from 15-18" splits for my two Woodstocks.

The Woodstock stoves are very nice - I've got a Keystone and with a few adjustments, it is really a great stove. The Keystone looks like a small fire place and is a thing of beauty.

Another stove to consider are the Hearthstone soapstone stoves. They have some fantastic enameled finishes you may want to consider.

All in all, most all of the top tier woodstoves mentioned on this website are very nice and are worthy of consideration - epecially compared to the old smoke dragons of my youth.

Good luck,
Bill

There's a local shop that distributes both Hearthstone and Jotul. Will go there tomorrow if I can find the time (first day back from Thanksgiving tomorrow, and will be very busy at work).

Just FYI, a local dealer recommended the Jotul Castine. Their thinking is the Oslo will probably be more stove than we need in that space. As I was using the VC Vigilant with the damper open all the time and it was more than adequate, I'm guessing they may be right.

JV_Thimble. The Fireview is 22 3/4" to center of flue. Firebox is 14.5 x13 x 20 (H, W, D). Recommendation is 16" and they work nicely. As Todd stated it will take longer pieces but 16" is the most ideal.

Do Todd and I like our Woodstock stoves? Is the Pope Catholic? Nice window for viewing the fire and the fire can be just lazy flames or look like the pits of Hell itself. At the same time, if you want you can pretty much shut down the flame. This is nice because you can regulate the burn times a bit better and the very nicest part of the stoves is how clean they burn....so long as you use good fuel. Poor fuel in any stove gives poor results.

We stay warmer with our Fireview that we did with the old Ashley and burn only 1/2 the amount of wood we used to. We used to clean the chimney from 3 to 6 times per year. We are not going into our 4th year with the Fireview and have cleaned the chimney one time. Maintenance of the stove is minimal and you won't find a better guarantee on the market than the one Woodstock gives.

Backwoods Savage said:
JV_Thimble. The Fireview is 22 3/4" to center of flue. Firebox is 14.5 x13 x 20 (H, W, D). Recommendation is 16" and they work nicely. As Todd stated it will take longer pieces but 16" is the most ideal.

Do Todd and I like our Woodstock stoves? Is the Pope Catholic? Nice window for viewing the fire and the fire can be just lazy flames or look like the pits of Hell itself. At the same time, if you want you can pretty much shut down the flame. This is nice because you can regulate the burn times a bit better and the very nicest part of the stoves is how clean they burn....so long as you use good fuel. Poor fuel in any stove gives poor results.

We stay warmer with our Fireview that we did with the old Ashley and burn only 1/2 the amount of wood we used to. We used to clean the chimney from 3 to 6 times per year. We are not going into our 4th year with the Fireview and have cleaned the chimney one time. Maintenance of the stove is minimal and you won't find a better guarantee on the market than the one Woodstock gives.

Hi Dennis -

Totally appreciate your tastes. We seem to be leaning away from the look of soapstone and towards the look of cast iron. Given timing relative to the tax credit, and limited time of my own (very busy with work right now), it's also pretty attractive to find a local dealer who can provide the stove and a proper install. Very likely we'll get something locally with an install package of some sort. And whatever we get, with a new stove, better chimney, and eyes that have been completely opened (thanks to you and others at this site), I'm thinking stove operations and heat output will be much better as well.

Thanks,

John

JV_Thimble said:
Just FYI, a local dealer recommended the Jotul Castine. Their thinking is the Oslo will probably be more stove than we need in that space. As I was using the VC Vigilant with the damper open all the time and it was more than adequate, I'm guessing they may be right.

There are some advantages to the Oslo that you may want to consider: larger firebox, side door, and it is available with a short leg kit making the top discharge ~ 27". Also, one rule that I have heard around here is to go with a stove that is one size larger than you think you need.

Green Energy said:
JV_Thimble said:

There are some advantages to the Oslo that you may want to consider: larger firebox, side door, and it is available with a short leg kit making the top discharge ~ 27". Also, one rule that I have heard around here is to go with a stove that is one size larger than you think you need.

How do you run the Oslo when you need just a little heat, in the shoulder seasons (have to convince my wife on this, she likes the Castine)?

Thanks in advance,

John

Prolly the same way as the Castine... a few splits at a time.

BeGreen said:
Prolly the same way as the Castine... a few splits at a time.

Right - sounds like I have a decision to make. I think my wife agrees more with the dealer here. Give me too big a stove and I'll overdo it. Not that it couldn't happen...

JV_Thimble said:
We seem to be leaning away from the look of soapstone and towards the look of cast iron.

Sometimes I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness on this topic, but I'll say it again.

Unless you live in a museum, why in the world would you want to make "looks" the primary criteria for choosing a woodstove? This is just plain shallow and ignorant. If someone in your household is running the roost on this topic, gently but firmly insist that he/she educate themself on the practical realities of owning and using a woodstove, and how it fits functionally into your environment and daily life. Those are the primary considerations that have to be met FIRST.

precaud said:
JV_Thimble said:
We seem to be leaning away from the look of soapstone and towards the look of cast iron.

Sometimes I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness on this topic, but I'll say it again.

Unless you live in a museum, why in the world would you want to make "looks" the primary criteria for choosing a woodstove? This is just plain shallow and ignorant. If someone in your household is running the roost on this topic, gently but firmly insist that he/she educate themself on the practical realities of owning and using a woodstove, and how it fits functionally into your environment and daily life. Those are the primary considerations that have to be met FIRST.

Do as you wish, that's your choice. Just as we are doing. Appearance matters for most people in some ways. And some stove designs just don't fit in with some room designs.

There are many brands of soapstone, cast iron, and steel stoves. If we can get something that fits our space, our heating needs, and has an appearance we like, that's what we're going to get. It's certainly not been an obstacle for us so far. Rather, it helps make whittling the choices down to a short list very much easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

John

JV, this is your thread, you get way more than 2 cents worth.

Just to be clear, if you re-read my post, I did not say "appearance doesn't matter". Of course it does.

precaud said:
JV, this is your thread, you get way more than 2 cents worth.

Just to be clear, if you re-read my post, I did not say "appearance doesn't matter". Of course it does.

No worries, precaud. We're all good here.

Status
Not open for further replies.