1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Shot a deer today!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by webbie, Jun 18, 2013.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    We have them here. To me, they are a problem when they eat what I plant. Now that I have two dogs, the deer stay at least 75 ft from the house. The dog have 90 ft from the house with their electric collars. I have never seen the dogs bark or go after the deer. I think it is the smell of the dogs that keeps them away. We also have coyotes so I am sure the deer know to stay away from them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I don't have a really big deer problem, being on the main road kind of spooks them, they tend to eat the neighbors stuff farther back. But I did notice they like to nibble the apple shoots when traffic is slow.
  3. charly

charly Guest

4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Here is the vid - added to the first post too!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    charly likes this.
  6. charly

charly Guest

I had people tell me that's why the ticks have gotten bad over the years,,, a light deer harvest compared to years ago,,, no porch shooting ;)
  7. charly

charly Guest

That explains why my 100 dollar Nikon isn't as sharp.... Wife bought it for me on my birthday... I use to shoot with my dads Canon F1, all manual , film,, but crystal clear pictures.. I appreciate good clear pictures like you took...;)
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I still have a complete Canon F1 setup. Great camera and lenses. Need to find a new home for it.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  9. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.

A good lens and 20 MP in a medium sized sensor can do wonders.....
    :)

You can get some pretty decent cams for 250+ or so if you look for the right deals....some very close to the RX-100. But these are only needed if you are as self-critical as I am. I have a good eye, but no talent. Same goes with my ears. In other words, I know what looks good and sounds good, but can't make it so!
    charly likes this.
  10. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Great pics !
    We Finished stacking my 3 red oaks cut in the winter today in the woods, kids were gathering small diameter stuff 15 feet from a fawn bedded in an uncut top. We yelled and harrased each other for 40 minutes and it didn't budge. We only saw it when I decided to drag the top over and it bolted, scaring the beejeebus outta all of us.Looked about 50 lbs, spots starting to fade.
    Our deer aren't tame,(hence my empty freezer:p ) but over in Shenandoah National park, they'll shake you down for a handout. This one followed us around a few years back

35792_1316001221758_7651635_n.jpg
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. charly

charly Guest

I think it 's nice to have a crystal clear picture, especially when you get that once in a lifetime shot... To me having a better camera would be worth it.. I enjoy taking pictures,, try to frame the shot as if it is going to be framed on a wall....
  12. charly

charly Guest

That took great pictures... mine was my dads at the time... He let my niece borrow it for a camera class,,,ugh! She dropped it, they sent it to be repaired,, it never took a clear picture again... I use to shoot ILFORD ASA 25 black and white on a tripod... Those were some true to life looking pics.. Camera was junk after it was dropped... Pissed me off! That was a big money camera back then.. My dad had bought it used... Sorry to get off topic!
  13. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I still have an old AE-1 and an old A1....And a Minolta AF (or something like that). A bunch of lenses for all of them and they just sit like dinosaur bones collecting dust!!:(
    charly likes this.