Should I Order This Splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
Got a question or two I'd like to through at you. Am wanting a smaller log splitter here at the house and one that I can bring to my cabin without a lot of trouble. I like the DR- G3- 6 ton (electric) splitter. However, it is a "discontinued" model, but is on sale for $489. The only REAL difference I can see in this model vs. the new one is that it holds less hydraulic fluid than the new one (172 oz. vs. 219). Is this important? I have a feeling that this just results in a little faster log splitting time and return time. Am I right? If that's all it is, it ain't no big deal to me. If I get a hold of a few logs it can't handle, I'll through'em in the back of the truck and split'em on my bigger splitter at the bbq joint. What do all of you think? Is this splitter a good choice for what I want it to do?

Thanks,
Stickburner

From what I've seen DR stuff seems to be fairly good, but overpriced... The sale price takes care of that, perhaps, so if it seems like it would work otherwise, go for it. I doubt there is all that much difference in the electric splitters.

Gooserider

Hi Stick,

Or you could save yourself $189 and get the Ryobi for $300 at HD.

Everyone likes them.

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.