Shoulder Season Burning... Who's burning already?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm burning every day, and have been for about two weeks. Turned the oil furnace off when I got the electric hot water heater turned back on (hot water has been heated by a zone off of the oil furnace for the last ten years so I was stuck with it), and am now enjoying not paying for fuel oil for awhile. Not burning 24/7, though, just in the morning when the house is cool and then another restart at 7 PM or so.

A/C is still running here... We had a couple coolish days, and I thought about a morning fire, but by 10am or so, the sun had warmed us up fine...

I've been burning at night if the temps are going to be in the 30's overnight. It is supposed to be in the 20's tonight so I've got the stove going right now. Only had a couple morning fires so far.

Mr. Kelly said:
joefrompa said:
Serious question: does anyone feel there are any benefits to flooding the house with nice, dry heat?

My wife is considering adding a lopi-top humidifier of some sort to add moisture back into the air, but I'm thinking that aside from dry skin and some thirst, it might be better for the house to "dry out" in terms of any moisture that's floating around.

Interesting question... I think there are benefits and detriments to having dry heat/air. My main concern is regarding having old structural wood drying out. Might it become brittle or weakened? I wonder.

I know that moist air is better for bronchial conditions, but worse for spreading germs and illness.

Dryer air seems to be more comfortable in either hot or cold climates.

So, not sure which would be better.

We get lots of woodwork shrinkage that leads to gaps opening up around the paneling and trim if the air is too dry.

woodweasel said:
Sawdust in a paper bag burns like solid wood.

And I thought I was the only one! I still can't figure out why it doesn't just totally fall apart, but it doesn't.

jharkin said:
Mr. Kelly said:
joefrompa said:
Serious question: does anyone feel there are any benefits to flooding the house with nice, dry heat?

My wife is considering adding a lopi-top humidifier of some sort to add moisture back into the air, but I'm thinking that aside from dry skin and some thirst, it might be better for the house to "dry out" in terms of any moisture that's floating around.

Interesting question... I think there are benefits and detriments to having dry heat/air. My main concern is regarding having old structural wood drying out. Might it become brittle or weakened? I wonder.

I know that moist air is better for bronchial conditions, but worse for spreading germs and illness.

Dryer air seems to be more comfortable in either hot or cold climates.

So, not sure which would be better.

We get lots of woodwork shrinkage that leads to gaps opening up around the paneling and trim if the air is too dry.

A lot of my trim work around doors and windows open up about 1/8" in spots. The house is about 75 years old so in a way that's ok - now all the doors close :)

Hmmm, good info. I just repainted and caulked alot of the trim with fresh silicone caulk throughout the house (and it's still ongoing).

Sounds like doing some humidifying does have some benefits...

Joe

I have been burning for two nights now and it feels good.......I love the NC 30

I'm just now starting to make the switch over from shoulder season burning to going 24/7 . . . went to CT last weekend . . . came back and it seems as though the temps have started to dip ever lower and now it's not getting quite as warm during the day.

I am however still using my chunks, punks and uglies . . . so no rip roaring "damn the torpedoes" fires yet . . . small loads with less than perfect wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.