Shoulder season burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2015
Central PA
As you all know, this is my first season burn for heat. Now that the temps are dropping, we've been doing some burns. My PE T5 has been burning great with nice big loads over night, with no smoke, hot coals and a clean glass in the morning. However, this morning I tried to make a small and hot fire, just to take a little chill off. The stove was cold as we did not burn over night. I made a small top-down fire with three 2-3" splits of nice dry cherry N-S, and a pile of dry cherry and red maple kindling and paper. I never was able to get much of a secondary burn and the chimney was giving off a light white smoke at best, but as the fire burned down to coals I was getting too much smoke and the glass got sooty. I had the air wide open to keep it as hot as possible. Any thoughts? Do I just need to add a little more fuel to get the firebox temp up? Is there a preferred stacking method for small fires? Please do not reply with anything about cats. That is irrelevant.
This was the chimney during the coal stage with the air wide open.
20151010_122155_zpsbnnvtpde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, the fire box never got hot enough to create that rolling affect and reburn the smoke, more fuel is needed.
Also keep in mind that when the air is opened all the way the fire box looses more heat through the flue, it takes some practice but usually if you get an established fire going then start banking down the air, it will cause the critical temps to rise and you can get secondary reburn going on a smaller load

However, this morning I tried to make a small and hot fire, just to take a little chill off. The stove was cold as we did not burn over night.

Your chimney was also cold.

How cold were the outside temps?

Low 50's will give you a draft problem. You have to get the hot air to rise out of the chimney,

It's hard to do with that outside kinda temps . I'm fighting It right now. 50F outside, dropping to to 35F here tonight.

The brain says "yes, do it", and Mother Nature says no" :p

I built a traditional paper and kindling on the bottom fire with a couple more splits. Got a fine draft right away good secondaries in less than 5 minutes. That's more like it

Reactions: Dix
Outside temps are dropping, makes it easier !!

==c

3rd fire of the short season here. all have been with outside temps in the low 50s at near 100% humidity so draft has been not so great and and have a very uncommon sooty flame view :( Looking forward to some real fall NW flow weather instead of miserable damp NE flow wedges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.