Shoulder season? What shoulder season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capsfan0709

Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
I don't know about you guys but up here in Maine we are having below average temps. I was hoping by now I would be cutting down on my pellets. I'm still going through 1-2 bags a day and it's almost April for crying out loud! It feels more like December or January with lows in the teens and highs around freezing and wind chills even lower. At this rate I'll be breaking into next season's stash.

Same thing here in Eastern Mass. For those of us that use our stoves as primary heat, it doesn't appear this colder than average pattern will ease up until mid April at the earliest.

NH makes 3. I had changed over to my shoulder season pellets a few weeks ago when we had 50+ deg weather. Was down under a bad a day until this cold weather came back in to stay and back up over a bag a day again. Damn, I may be putting the better stuff back in.

Same here in the capital of taxation. Had the P43 down to a bag - or less - a day
& now it's back mid-winter burn... Bag in the AM - bag in the PM...
Gonna hafta grab some bags from work to keep the house dino-free
for the next few weeks, I guess...

another central mainer here,thinking the same thing...damn chilly. I was riding my new motorcycle a year ago!
Which actually brings me to a question i was going to post...do different brands of pellets make That big a difference?
I got my harman insert from Rocky's...he brought up 5 bags of cubex...i thought wow,this throws some heat,but been burning the ones from Athens and they dont seem to throw as much heat...anyone else notice this? I can get the athens pellets a mile away for 219$ per ton....getting the cubex from rockys is 260 per ton and a half hour drive( i live in Oakland)
Would it be wise to use athens pellets in spring and fall then something else during the winter?....this is my first year doing this!

Same chit here. Low 20's this morning
with a wind chill of 5 degrees. Wtf, the harley
and the kayak are both hollerin to let them out
but I'm not down for it with these temps.
Tapping into the Greene Teams so will have
to rebuild the stash before summer arrives.

Hey, it is shoulder season (thats when you bring a bag in from storage on each shoulder) !!!

I had my first burgers and sausages yesterday, you folks must be getting old or something.

bugize said:
another central mainer here,thinking the same thing...damn chilly. I was riding my new motorcycle a year ago!
Which actually brings me to a question i was going to post...do different brands of pellets make That big a difference?
I got my harman insert from Rocky's...he brought up 5 bags of cubex...i thought wow,this throws some heat,but been burning the ones from Athens and they dont seem to throw as much heat...anyone else notice this? I can get the athens pellets a mile away for 219$ per ton....getting the cubex from rockys is 260 per ton and a half hour drive( i live in Oakland)
Would it be wise to use athens pellets in spring and fall then something else during the winter?....this is my first year doing this!

It was 17 here in Northeast Ohio last night. My '07 Super-Glide wants out of Her cage also. Been "Itching" to take it out. Had a couple nice days to take a small ride, but to many things to do, and not enough time in the day. Come on Old Man Winter, let up your grip.
Welcome Bugize, Congrats on the purchase of the Harman. I seen your "Join Date" 2006-08-26, Wow, have you done that much research before purchasing? You made a good decision.
As far as, "Do different brands of pellets make That big a difference?"" Yes they do.. The stove is merely a vessel for the product that runs through it. Having a Harman, you have a good vessel. Now find yourself some Good Quality pellets, and you will be a happy man.
The whole buying 2 different brands, that is a good choice also. If you can find a good pellet (maybe not the hottest, but clean) for cheap, then you would have a good shoulder season (Spring/Fall) pellet. Then get you some good and Hot pellets for the Dead of Winter. On the right track, if you have been lurking on here this long, you prob know more than average person, who just bought a stove and knows nothing about it.
You already have 4.5 yrs on this site. That prob taught you a lot. I wish I would have known about it years ago. Such a Great Forum, with Nice People, and Sound Advice.

FYI. The earthquake in Japan has shifted the axis of the Earth enough to where winter last 10 month a year and that is in July and August where it will be 110 everyday. Get use to it.

Eric

SmokeyTheBear said:
Hey, it is shoulder season (thats when you bring a bag in from storage on each shoulder) !!!

Winter = 1 bag each shoulder(2 bags a day). Shoulder season = 1 bag on one or the other shoulder(1 bag a day)? :) :cheese:

[/quote]

It was 17 here in Northeast Ohio last night. My '07 Super-Glide wants out of Her cage also. Been "Itching" to take it out. Had a couple nice days to take a small ride, but to many things to do, and not enough time in the day. Come on Old Man Winter, let up your grip.
[/quote]

You HD guys are all the same... HAHA.
I've been commuting on my bike for 2 weeks already and still burning 2 bags a day, about 18degrees the other morning on my way in.
As long as the ice is off the driveway, I'm riding.

You HD guys are all the same... HAHA.
I've been commuting on my bike for 2 weeks already and still burning 2 bags a day, about 18degrees the other morning on my way in.
As long as the ice is off the driveway, I'm riding.[/quote]

Wow, I'm Good. Gotta be above 50. I'm a "Freeze Baby". Thats why I burn them pellets. And burn a lot of them.

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Winter = 1 bag each shoulder(2 bags a day). Shoulder season = 1 bag on one or the other shoulder(1 bag a day)? :) :cheese:

No, no, no!!! Winter two bags one each shoulder, no burgers and sausage on the grill. Shoulder season still 2 bags but you get both burgers and sausages.

One bag on your shoulder of choice, burgers, sausages, chicken, ribs, and steak on the grill = SUMMER.

No bags and the rest = 4th of July, you bank the house and start burning again on the 5th.

You must be from away and thus confused as to proper season determination. :p

Well,i joined back then hunting for a coal forum...someone sent me to nepa, but i grew tired of the rising cost of coal in this area,plus...comming home after a 12 hr shift,an hour away from home...only to mess with the coal stove...and dumping a boat load of ash.
I still have,and will use my coal stove from time to time,but main source of heat will be pellets.
I am not an H D guy...have friends that are...none of us are riding...no way!...LOL...its in the 30's today with a 10-15 mile an hour wind...no effin way...!

The other day told my wife in a few weeks I will be saying it's too hot.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

No, no, no!!! Winter two bags one each shoulder, no burgers and sausage on the grill. Shoulder season still 2 bags but you get both burgers and sausages.

One bag on your shoulder of choice, burgers, sausages, chicken, ribs, and steak on the grill = SUMMER.

No bags and the rest = 4th of July, you bank the house and start burning again on the 5th.

Maine = 9 months of winter followed by 3 months of piss poor sledding.

" Shoulder season" here has 2 names.
"Freeze up" for fall shoulder season
"Break up" for Spring shoulder season.
We are in "Break-up" now in my area. 1/2 loads of wood at night & the house still get too warm by mid afternoon.
So "Shoulder season" is here for us. 13 hours of sun now & growing.
But I realize we can still get some winter weather but the longer days @ 40°f by mid afternoon means "We survived another one"/

WE "Never" say "Too Hot" here. Those are Bad words. ;)

Attachments

• 7DAY-1.490x325.jpg
    7DAY-1.490x325.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 329
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Things are sure different up there. Yes I am from away, But visit when allowed.

Geez Bear, Even Alaska is warmer than maine! hehe

The big mystery is why some pellet houses (specifically my dealer) is doing spring buys when it is still freezing out. Doesn't make sence or cents!

Power to you Mascoma! I don't ride in cold weather.
Why? Cuz I hate the cold and have a Jeep with
flame throwin heat that keeps me nice and
comfy. Oh and I'm not an HD guy.

To keep it OT I AM burning a bag a day of GT's.
Hoping that comes to an end soon tho. :cheese:
Shoulder Season to me, is when the stove is
completely off some days, and running only at
night on others.

johnnycomelately said:
The big mystery is why some pellet houses (specifically my dealer) is doing spring buys when it is still freezing out. Doesn't make sence or cents!

Cause the box stores are out of pellets or jacked the price up. Now its his time to have a sale of sorts. It does seem a bit early this year, But it could just be we are still cold. Last year we were warmer by this time, If I remember correctly.

SmokeyTheBear said:

I may not be riding the Kawi V-Twin 1600 yet (yup, it's a rice burner; but after I was finished with it I get my share of compliments from old time HD riders), but I NEVER stop grillin. Sure it's propane, but open the garage door, roll the grill outside a few feet and fire her up. Been several times that its been snowin at the time of cookin.

gbreda said:
...open the garage door, roll the grill outside
a few feet and fire her up. Been several times that its been snowin at the time of cookin.

hehe sweet!

gbreda said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I may not be riding the Kawi V-Twin 1600 yet (yup, it's a rice burner; but after I was finished with it I get my share of compliments from old time HD riders), but I NEVER stop grillin. Sure it's propane, but open the garage door, roll the grill outside a few feet and fire her up. Been several times that its been snowin at the time of cookin.

My garage door stays closed in the winter. You can do that all you want but unless we go somewhere in the car that door stays down. Even putting the grill outside the door puts it under the nice long deck that runs the length of the house.

I used to grill in the winter when our garage was a separate building and unheated, opened the doors and shoved the grill out onto the driveway, lit it off and froze.

SmokeyTheBear said:

I had my first burgers and sausages yesterday, you folks must be getting old or something.

I have been grilling all winter here also. light grill and bring in a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.