Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shoulder season is a term used by the travel industry as an abbreviated season that falls between the high season and low season

I think if you graphed wood consumption, it might look a bit like a cross section of a road bed with the shoulders being Fall and Spring.

I was thinking it was the shoulders of a tree from the branches to the trunk. The shoulder pieces are smaller and they are better in the warmer weather rather than using the trunk when it the coldest part of the winter.

We are really having a longer "shoulder season" than normal, this year.....Does that sound OK. Now I am getting it.

Yaron2 said:
shoulder season is a term used by the travel industry as an abbreviated season that falls between the high season and low season
I just googled it and ja, the travel industry has first dibs on it. It ain't no great vacation in our case though... either too hot or too cold.

Lanning said:
Why is it you call the milder temps the "shoulder Season?"

I hate asking dumb questions but I bet I am not the only one.

If it makes you feel better I had never heard the term "shoulder season" before I joined up here. Also, I find it a silly and ridiculous turn of speech and I don't use it.

I ain't no stinkin travel agent so it's fall , winter , spring .......not shoulder road shoulder or shoulder neck head shoulder or shoulder head knee and toes. :coolsmirk:

Tony H said:
I ain't no stinkin travel agent so it's fall , winter , spring .......not shoulder road shoulder or shoulder neck head shoulder or shoulder head knee and toes. :coolsmirk:

Right on!

If it makes you feel better I had never heard the term "shoulder season" before I joined up here.

Yup same here...around here it was 'spring/fall hard to burn days' then you'd referenced cold nights with warmer days where a certain kind of fire was called for. I like 'shoulder season' much better.

Anyways to answer the OP's question imo it's easy to burn when it's cold out. 'Shoulder season' covers those days when your require a lot less than a nuclear pile from your wood stove. And that's not easy as it sounds.

I prefer the technical analysis term of head and shoulders pattern.
The chart shows a shoulder then a bump for the head then a shoulder.
The bump equals full on winter with maximum heat needed. The shoulders represent less heat.

___n____

Simplified chart using high tech keyboard.

A head and shoulder pattern is a warning of a downturn and falling prices (heat needed) so summer should be coming. This should produce a reverse head and shoulder pattern which is bullish for more heat.

I was always told that shoulder season was named that because that is when people begin to cover their shoulders (like wearing a sweater or women wearing a rag over their shoulders) to stay warm. Later, they cover everything.

I think we're finally nearing the end of shoulder season. I was getting tired of babying new fires. With highs and
lows in the 20's and 30's, the stove is much easier to fire tend.

northwinds said:
I think we're finally nearing the end of shoulder season. I was getting tired of babying new fires. With highs and
I agree, heating season is about here. I can finally start opening one draft on Old Smokey just a crack now that it's mostly below freezing temps!

quads said:
northwinds said:
I agree, heating season is about here. I can finally start opening one draft on Old Smokey just a crack now that it's mostly below freezing temps!

Its gonna be 14 overnight in Minneapolis. These wood burners are meant to run in cool weather not this almost freezing stuff. I want to see some -20 stuff and see if this7 stove burn and make the big heat! I think it was colder 30 years ago. It was -37 and walking on snow that was really hard. The good old day. Damn global warming..lol..

They are called the shoulder seasons because the "heart" of winter or summer is in between them. ???!

Thanks for the explaination, I thought it was during the begining/end of burning season the fire makes the house so warm that you really don't neeed to wear nothing more than a t-shirt or something like that.

Lanning said:
quads said:
northwinds said:

Its gonna be 14 overnight in Minneapolis. These wood burners are meant to run in cool weather not this almost freezing stuff. I want to see some -20 stuff and see if this7 stove burn and make the big heat! I think it was colder 30 years ago. It was -37 and walking on snow that was really hard. The good old day. Damn global warming..lol..
17 forecast for here tonight. I wish it would get down to about 0, with the wind blowing! I love cold weather. Don't like snow so much anymore, but still like cold weather. Old Smokey likes it too. The colder and windier the better, then it really shows it's stuff and burns clean-ish without worrying about putting too much wood in it.

How about creosote season? :cheese:

Did Big Redd say "Shoulder Season" or "Dolmar" ??

WB

Status
Not open for further replies.