Shutting down air on Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJ

Hearth Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
MN
In order to extend the burn times on my Heritage, I have been shutting the air down all the way by moving the air control level all the way to the right after the stove is buring at a stove top temp of 400+. I get nice secondaries when I do this. Is thee a problen with creosoot build up burning this way? Thanks for your help.

Nope, that's exactly how you are supposed to run the stove. Your manual *probably* tells you that's how to run it, and may say something about letting it run good and hot for 20-30 minutes everyday.. mine does. At this moment I am running 425 stove top, medium size load of smallish splits, air about 90% closed.

The manual recommends running the air 1/4 open rather than shutting it down all the way.

I read that in the manual too. The "normal" operation should be at about 1/4 open according to hearthstone. Well, that's my no f-in around setting for when I want the stovetop at max output. For long burns, especially overnight, I shut it to zero. Realize that 0% draft setting is not 0% air to the stove. The EPA sets the minimum air so that there is always sufficient air to burn cleanly, even at 0% draft setting.

Every night, in all cases, that draft goes to zero if there is a fire. A safety thing. Also, when I leave the house, the draft goes to zero. I know that the stove won't overfire that way.

In summary, I do exactly as you do and have had no problems at all with creo buildup in the flue or on the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.