Sierra Stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sethmasia

Oct 30, 2023
I paid $100 for this Sierra stove and haven't fired it up yet. Above the side-load door is a lever controlling a flue gate. I can't find a manual online, though I did find technical data and a parts list for the much later S2300 model. Inside the stove, rattling around loose, I found the steel grate part pictured, which appears to have fallen out of the baffle section. I can't figure out how to reinstall it properly. Can anyone advise? Thanks!
StoveIDsmall.jpg
Stovepartsmall.jpg

Looks like it may be the flame shield for the catalytic converter. Look on the back of the stove for the UL label identifying the model. I'm wondering if it is a 7000C. Is there a side-loading door on the right side?

Give Sierra a call. They are still in business.

Last edited:
What is behind that tile wall ?

I scraped away some paint and found the model number: 7000 TE. Can't find a manual online. I don't know what the TE stands for but I suspect this stove wasn't made for a catalytic element. Maybe someone here can fill me in. I will reach out to Sierra -- thanks for that.

It burns nicely with well-dried apple wood -- held steady at about 450F according the the cheap magnetic thermometer I bought. I suspect there's an air leak around the ash drawer so will refresh the seal and burn again tonight.

As for the tile wall, the previous owner of this house had a much bigger stove in this space and used it for about 20 years. We got rid of that stove because my wife thought it was ugly, and the firebricks were badly eroded. I think we're safe but I did buy a steel heat shield I can put back there if the tiles get too hot to touch. I have 14" clearance to the tile. I installed the stove with double-wall 6" flue pipe straight up 15 feet, with an expander to the 8" chimney pipe going up another 15 feet. Our alarm clock in the summer is a woodpecker who hammers on that pipe every morning.

I don't know the stove but that sure looks like a cat flame shield. Midwest Hearth lists a replacement catalyst for the 7000 TE.

Is there a bypass damper in the stove?

I scraped away some paint and found the model number: 7000 TE. Can't find a manual online. I don't know what the TE stands for but I suspect this stove wasn't made for a catalytic element. Maybe someone here can fill me in. I will reach out to Sierra -- thanks for that.

It burns nicely with well-dried apple wood -- held steady at about 450F according the the cheap magnetic thermometer I bought. I suspect there's an air leak around the ash drawer so will refresh the seal and burn again tonight.

As for the tile wall, the previous owner of this house had a much bigger stove in this space and used it for about 20 years. We got rid of that stove because my wife thought it was ugly, and the firebricks were badly eroded. I think we're safe but I did buy a steel heat shield I can put back there if the tiles get too hot to touch. I have 14" clearance to the tile. I installed the stove with double-wall 6" flue pipe straight up 15 feet, with an expander to the 8" chimney pipe going up another 15 feet. Our alarm clock in the summer is a woodpecker who hammers on that pipe every morning.
Isn't that an 8" stove outlet? What clearance is required to the rear?

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Rear clearance is listed as 18" to a combustible wall. 14" seems safe to tile. After resealing the ash drawer, it was easy to damp the fire to a consistent 375F. The tile grew warm but not too hot to touch. I think we're good. Will contact Sierra about how to install the cat. There is a bypass damper in the stove.

As for the 8" collar-- the stove outlet is 6" but didn't mate accurately with the double-wall pipe. The local hardware store had this 8-to-6 reducer and I made a ring-shaped adapter, from aluminum plate and sealed with glass rope, to fit it to the stove outlet.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Rear clearance is listed as 18" to a combustible wall. 14" seems safe to tile. After resealing the ash drawer, it was easy to damp the fire to a consistent 375F. The tile grew warm but not too hot to touch. I think we're good. Will contact Sierra about how to install the cat. There is a bypass damper in the stove.

As for the 8" collar-- the stove outlet is 6" but didn't mate accurately with the double-wall pipe. The local hardware store had this 8-to-6 reducer and I made a ring-shaped adapter, from aluminum plate and sealed with glass rope, to fit it to the stove outlet.
No the tile offers no protection at all. You need 18" to the wood studs behind the tile