Silly TV antenna question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
bad thing about having to move from vhf to uhf is the vhf will carry signal out farther than the same power uhf
Yes. VHF was the savior for long distance reception. Now with UHF digital it can be dicey even at 30 miles away due to atmospherics and other interference.

Sorry maple1 I kinda hijacked this thread. Did you try the method you wanted to with two antennas and a coax splitter? I also wonder if your antennas will be outdoors or in.

I'll start my own thread.

this tread got me going. now i'm building a 8 element yagi for uhf hope it works as well as the antenna's i build in the past

Sorry maple1 I kinda hijacked this thread. Did you try the method you wanted to with two antennas and a coax splitter? I also wonder if your antennas will be outdoors or in.

I'll start my own thread.

No, this is at the cottage, and cottage season is about over.

I am going to start by getting an amplifier & see what that does (not overly hopeful), then next step would be get a second antenna and try the 2 gadget thing. Might be able to get an amplifier soon, but a second antenna will be next year now. I will post back again with whatever though.

(Feel free to pile on this thread with what you have if it's antenna related - got more reaction than I thought I would and its all been good).

Ok maple1 thanks. I hope just the amplifier will help a bit. Years ago you could just drive to the local Radio Shack and buy one.

this tread got me going. now i'm building a 8 element yagi for uhf hope it works as well as the antenna's i build in the past

If it ends up working well please post the schematic/plans. I think my antenna was ~ $35 or so from Home Depot so not top of the line.
I see other directional yagis, but they're way up there in price, well over $100. Since mine is indoors for now, it would be easy to change
and experiment with.

Reactions: fbelec