1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

SIMPLE DAMPER QUESTION

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by El Finko, Jan 17, 2013.

1. El Finko

El Finko Member

Loc:
    Mason Dixon Line
    I picked up one of those 6" Made in China damper plates from Northern. Before I go punching holes in my double-wall stove pipe- anything I should be aware of??
    Thanks fellas.
    P.S. Thanks to all who post on these forums. I attribute much of my 1st-year success to what I have learned here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    It might be handy to be able to reach the plate from inside the stove to remove it for brushing the flue or whatever else...
  3. El Finko

El Finko Member

Loc:
    Mason Dixon Line
    I think I catch your drift. You're basically drilling a hole all the way thru, then holding the plate in the right spot and threading the rod thru.
    So later- for cleaning purposes- you can reach up from inside the stove, hold the plate, slide the rod out, drop the plate out of the way, and scrub away. No??
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    No, not no. ==c
  5. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Is your double wall pipe an adjustable segment? Why not just get your manufacturer's section with built in damper that will slide right onto the pipe? Pays for itself in time saved when it comes to cleaning the stove. What will you do with the other damper, remove and realign holes and replace every time you clean the pipe?
  6. tim1

tim1 Member

Loc:
    columbia river gorge,portland or
    for years I used these key dampers and used plumbing tape wrapped around the pipe and counted the holes and drilled the 1/4 hole evenly with no problems. Now, with the summit, I did not put one in. The china ones weaken in the heat and do not work well. The rod is not carbon steel.Tim
  7. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    basic china dampers are too short to fit in double wall
    as far as i know made just for single wall
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I would return the cheap damper and get one made by the mfg of the double-wall pipe for their system.

damper.PNG
    Heatsource likes this.
  9. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I only use mine when i actually need to control my stove better.