Simpson DVL (Double Wall) pipe to 6" clay flue thimble Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSUESS

Nov 8, 2010
Eastern Michigan
Hello All,

I have a project in that I am replacing a 30+ year old wood stove with a more efficient Pacific Energy Super 27. To make a long story short I want to retain and use my existing 6 x 6 square clay flue chimney. The company that sold me the stove also sold me Simson double wall (DVL) pipe. I have been trying to figure out how I can connect the double wall pipe to my exisitig 6" diameter clay flu coming out of my chimney. Is there an adaptor that I can buy that would allow this to happen? I am assuming that I can always resort back to single wall 6" if need be as that is what the previous stove had on it for the past 30+ years without any clearance/combustable issues.

He also sold me adjustable double wall...I am not a "proffesional" by any means but have enough experience with wood burning to know that the apparent overlap of the slip fit of the adjustable pipe is backwards to what the flow is. Wouldn't this allow smoke & fumes to enter the double wall flow section of the pipe or am I missing something in my thinking? I would contact the company that sold me all of this but communication is a sever issue with them and he refuses to call me back. Thats a whole another topic!

Any tips and or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

What condition is your clay flue in - have you had it camera inspected for cracked tiles, straightness, etc?

I haven't had it scoped but from what I can visually see from the top and what I can see looking though the thimle it appears to be in pretty good shape. It isn't the straightest I will admit as I can see flues that are offset slightly from one another as I look down it (Aprox 25 feet) . In reference to that I had intentiones of putting a 6" SS flex liner down it but with the straightness as it is I am concerned it won't go and get stuck- even if I do use a pulling cone. That is why I am just considering using it as it is. I have lived in this house for 33 years and grew up with a wood burner (Burn constantly every winter) using the same chimney. Although I am confident in it I am tossing it around in my head of whether or not to drop a 5" SS down...I know I can get that to go with a pulling cone just not sure if it recommended for the stove I just bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.