Single cleaning season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Since my education here at the Heart.com. I cleaned the stacks in Oct, and monitored them all season long. I just came off the roof to report: Two clean stacks, minor powder coating, nothing shiny, nothing thick and crusty. They can wait till next Oct with the limited time I've got left to burn this year.

To top it off I burned 1/2 cord of PINE!! I will be burning pine tonight for a quick warm up till I see what the weather really has in store for me tomorrow.

Burn On!

Neither stack is insulated, but neither of them is on an outside wall. Both are in the middle of a ranch with a 5/12 pitch roof. One is a liner, one is single wall to triple wall. Yes I try to burn hot every burn, the stacks stay around 300 on a magnet thermo on single wall pipe.

Must be doin somthing right. Keep up the good work.

This place will do it to ya. Good job.

Nice job, ckarotka. Definitely doin' in right.

I just inspected my chimney yesterday, and found the same thing. A little powder. No popcorn or glaze. Stainless chimney cap still shiny. And that's after 4+ cords through an exterior masonry chimney with clay tile liner. So, just like last year, brushing the chimney and cap will take way less time than setting up the ladder to do it. We're lovin' the Oslo and that secondary burn!

Do you think the chimney might deteriorate this summer because you burned all that pine last winter?! Pine does strange things, don't ya know. :cheese:

That show from the Discovery Channel "I shouldn't be alive" called today. They want to do an episode on me and how I survived a whole year burning Pine. He said according to his research my house should have burned down on the first fire and I should be dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.