Single vs double wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
So I currently don't have a woodstove in my house... was hoping to get it in before this winter came around, but oh well... it'll definitely be in before next winter, possibly before the end of this one. Currently in the planning/ researching stage. I was almost decided on the Ashford, but now leaning towards the Princess.

The stove will be centrally-ish located in the house, and the chimney will go straight up through the room.

Would single wall for inside the house be a good choice, so that I could use the heat coming off the chimney to heat the place too? Or does enough heat come through the double wall so this is not an issue...?

And a question about creosote buildup... if I understand correctly, creosote is partially formed by the smoke cooling in the chimney- so would a double wall internal chimney have less buildup, or is this part negligible?

I have single wall and i like the extra heat it gives off, originally i went single because it was cheaper but found out i like it more than if I'd spent the money on double. with a straight pipe in the middle of a room, i would do single and put a heat reclaimer on it, that would maximize the heat being put off by the whole unit, not just the stove at the bottom. Good luck

The flue is not a stove. Get a decently efficient stove for heating the space and don't compromise the flue by trying to rob more heat from it. The flue needs to stay warm enough to keep the flue gases above the condensation point of 250F. If a lot of the flue is exterior and one lives in a cold climate then robbing the flue of heat is a bad plan.

drz. Blaze King is clear in its recommendation for double-wall connector pipe. The flue gases will be cooler from this stove. Even though you have an interior chimney, the upper portion is going to be colder as it goes through the attic and outdoors.

Reactions: BSH1F
The flue is not a stove. Get a decently efficient stove for heating the space and don't compromise the flue by trying to rob more heat from it. The flue needs to stay warm enough to keep the flue gases above the condensation point of 250F. If a lot of the flue is exterior and one lives in a cold climate then robbing the flue of heat is a bad plan.

drz. Blaze King is clear in its recommendation for double-wall connector pipe. The flue gases will be cooler from this stove. Even though you have an interior chimney, the upper portion is going to be colder as it goes through the attic and outdoors.
I just read something about the heat reclaimers cooling the flue right after i posted this, and it would make a big difference if it was going thru an attic, and seasonal temps. i just pictured the roof right above the room lol.

Good stuff man, thanks much! The exterior will probably be triple wall, I was just referring to the flue that was going to be inside the room with the stove. I think I'll stick with double.

Understood, the terminology is confusing because there are both double wall connector pipe (interior) and double wall chimney (class A). Note that for the chimney if you are considering DuraPlus vs DuraTech double wall I would recommend double-wall class A.

Reactions: bholler
it depends on the stove some really need double wall some dont but like begreen said the pipe is not a heater and you can never go wrong using double wall

Reactions: CenterTree
If I am not mistaken quality DBL wall is one and done with lifetime warrantee vs. replacing single wall from time to time.

I have Dura vent stainless Dbl to the class A straight up and really like it.

I went with double wall, even though I had enough clearance for single.
My chimney was a bit on the short side and had a 45* offset, so I thought DW would draft better and have less creosote buildup.
I believe I made the right choice as my stove drafts well and I get little creosote.

DW is stainless steel on the inside and should last almost forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.