Single wall Black vs Double wall Black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the recommended max length of single wall before it becomes a draft issue? I think there has been a number thrown around here but can't remember what it was. Personally I like my 22ga single wall pipe. My 4' run does radiates a good amount of heat and I like that extra heat during a cold start while the stove is coming up to temp. It would be nice to see some numbers percentage wise comparing single to double wall. I don't think a short run would be worth the extra cost if clearances weren't an issue and draft was fine.

Todd said:
So what is the recommended max length of single wall before it becomes a draft issue? I think there has been a number thrown around here but can't remember what it was. Personally I like my 22ga single wall pipe. My 4' run does radiates a good amount of heat and I like that extra heat during a cold start while the stove is coming up to temp. It would be nice to see some numbers percentage wise comparing single to double wall. I don't think a short run would be worth the extra cost if clearances weren't an issue and draft was fine.
You sir are exactly right, double wall pipe is for clearances, the fact that it can help with draft is a plus but not a guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.