single wall flu pipe connections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disamatic

Aug 6, 2014
Gold Bar Washington
Hello folks, I was curious if all sections from the connection of the stove to the chimney adapter are typically screwed together. A fellow is insisting that one end of the telescopic pipe be left unscrewed for movement as temperatures fluctuate. This does not seem correct, any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

What is the brand of pipe? Pretty sure we can show you the page in every manufacturer's instructions that say three screws in every pipe joint connection.

What is the brand of pipe? Pretty sure we can show you the page in every manufacturer's instructions that say three screws in every pipe joint connection.

mber: 6"]What is the brand of pipe? Pretty sure we can show you the page in every manufacturer's instructions that say three screws in every pipe joint connection.[/quote]
It is from lowes, black single wall, i

mber: 6"]What is the brand of pipe? Pretty sure we can show you the page in every manufacturer's instructions that say three screws in every pipe joint connection.
It is from lowes, black single wall, i[/quote]
That did not work well, i believe it is selkirk, and thats how I felt about it as well.

I put the screws in my slip connectors and for sure would advise anybody to do it. I have never in my life heard of stove pipe expansion causing a problem. And sure would have noticed vertical expansion with the screws in it.

There actually are a few that say not to screw the slip but go by what ever your instructions say. As long as all the other joints are screwed and your slip overlaps by a few inches there should be no problem if it is no screwed but as long as you dont have a really long straight run it wont hurt to screw it either

Note that at each joint there is a bulge in the pipe right near the crimp. That bulge does two things, it limits how far the pipe can be shoved into the next and also is a weak spot that can "crush" or stretch if the forces got really high for some reason. You'll actually see a bit of this potential flex built into the system at the top as well.

Just how much do you think a stove pipe can expand with heat? Are we talking 1/16" of an inch or an inch? Go to your buddies unscrewed slip and make a mark on the cold pipe right above the unsecured joint. Start a fire and see how much or if it moves.

I would be more worried about the seasonal expansion and contraction of my house with temperature and humidity than stove heat induced expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.