single wall help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
I just recently bought a new pe summit. I am installing the flue. The stove has a female 6" flue and I have a 7" clay wall thimble.
I put a 7"x6" reducer into the thimble (reducer has the 7" side crimped and the 6" side female). Then put a crimped end of pipe into the 6" side of the reducer. Then a 90 degree bend and a piece down to the stove. My problem is that when I get to the stove I will have two females (two females sojnds excellent in some situations but not this one).
How do I connect? My guess is a male x male 7x6 reducer

Or a 6" 90 that is not crimped on either side??

You need a crimping tool to crimp the reducer's uncrimped 6" end. That way all following crimps point toward the stove. This will make it so that any creosote drips back into the stove instead of the outside of the pipe. As an alternative instead of the reducer you could run 6" pipe into the thimble with the crimped end pointing toward the stove. Insert it no farther than the chimney wall. Then take some 5/8 or 3/4" stove door rope gasket and use it to seal the gap around this pipe. Connect with regular single-wall stove pipe crimps pointing toward the stove.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-1-5-8-in-Depth-5-Blade-Crimper-WC5L/204158825?N=5yc1vZc97z

Just bought a crimper at lowes. worked like a charm. thanks.
Good idea with using the 6" and the rope to seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.