Single wall pipe clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wood4heat

May 1, 2007
Is this an acceptable clearance for single wall pipe. Ceiling is drywall with wooden studs :oops:

D0ABAFCE-25CC-4EA7-B5DD-6CA6BAC98087.jpeg 1EF9502D-BE58-4D74-B63C-2DACE82A903D.jpeg

Forgot to mention stone is attached directly to concrete foundation. The only issue I can foresee would be the stove pipe clearance to drywall

To close, you can either change out to dvl with a 6" clearance, attach a painted sheet metal sheild to the existing pipe (may look funny) or exchange the shorter pipe going to the support box with a longer one (4") then elbows and trim the straight pipe to fit going into the stove collar.

Yes too short. They make pipe shield, I think Imperial sells them on Amazon. Dropping the angle down with a 6" piece of pipe off the support box would look better. Or a heat shield on 1" standoffs could be put on the ceiling.

Is the left wing wall also concrete foundation?

Thanks for the responses. Is it possible to just change out the diagonal section to double wall pipe? Not sure if it is possible or allowed to adapt single wall to double wall?
And yes all three sides are concrete foundation.

Thanks for the responses. Is it possible to just change out the diagonal section to double wall pipe? Not sure if it is possible or allowed to adapt single wall to double wall?
No, dvl is all or nothing, but dvl is much better, stainless steel will last much, much longer and also help provide warmer flue temps,

+1 DVL all the pipe. You will be much happier and feel a thousand times safer. I just changed out all my single pipe on my main stove and am in the process of doing the same for my shop stove. It just makes sense.

Reactions: Highbeam
Not really no.