Single wall -vs- double wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

granpajohn

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2007
Central Maryland
I want to install a freestanding stove & chimney in the corner. (Not an unusual configuration.) Approved clearances are much closer with double wall chimney pipe. This tells me that heat emitting into the room from a single wall pipe would go up the chimney in a double wall pipe. So the question is; is it a significant amount of heat? Enough to make it worth having the stove stick out an extra 6 inches? Which is most often used?

I used double wall interior pipe for clearance issues and for better draft. Let me tell you, it still gets mighty hot and lets off a good amount of heat into the room. Having some heat going up you chimney is not an all together bad thing as it will keep that chimney hot, flowing fast and leaving less creosote.

The difference is more than 6". Double wall allows 6" to combustibles and single wall is 16 or 18" Big difference and to me it is not worth sticking my stove way out into the room. Also, the single wall is just a single sheet of plain steel with its associated short lifespan in the harsh environment. Double wall generally uses a stainless steel inner layer surrounded by a plain steel outer. What I'm getting at is that the double wall is safer too.

I agree with what has been said, but just be careful about specifying the clearences for double wall. Although the double wall manufacturer may specify that the pipe can be installed 6 inches from a combustible surface, the test data for the stove being hooked to the pipe determines the actual distance allowed between the double wall stovepipe and a combustible wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.