slow combustion fan speed lazy fire pellet stove smokes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trytofixit

Feb 9, 2014
oregon
I have a Whitfield advantage 2, that worked great, but I noticed the flame was slow and the fan was not moving the air fast enough to keep the fire burning, the damper had no effect (witch would result in smoking and unsuccessful starts).I cleaned the motor and fan and installed it again, still same thing , I noticed the motor was turning so slow I can see the parts turning inside. Rather than buying a new fan I tested the fan witch worked fine, so the next step was Google the symptoms I found a thread witch was eventually unanswered or better yet wrongly answered(solution take it to the shop to get ripped off by a "professional),many answer's was to replace the control board($300 not an option)

but lucky for me and hopefully for you too is I figured it out

the problem was my frugalness I normally ran the stove on 1 with the damper as closed as I could get it. it worked fine for many months that way.

the solution for me was to turn the auger speed up to 5 with the auger switched off wait for the pellets to get going good then throw a big handful of pellets in the pot a few time to burn the carbon out of the stove

as soon as I switched the auger speed up higher the fan ran proper enough to get a fire going and the stove still runs good to this day

but I cannot help but wonder how many people unessecearly replace the control board at a proffecinals advice one guy said he ran into this problem 5 times and the only thing that fixed it was a new control board so if this worked for you please say it did

Most solid fuel stoves don't like to be idled for long periods of time. Countryside recommends a daily high fire for fifteen minutes to help clear the exhaust of ash and carbon from the exchangers.

With the right incentive $$, you figured out your issues...:) Welcome to the forum!
Need to add another $. If I had been using propain:) Still $3.60 so with the extreme cold still saving $20+ per day

I have no clue what you are talking about

My stove flame is getting somewhat lazy, burnpot fill's up, maybe it's the FSU I've been burning, did a good clean yesterday It helped some but it doesnt have that pellet's jumping out of burnpot like it used too, combustion blower is a few years old, adjusting the combustion trim has no effect, door gaskets been replaced few years ago also.

Status
Not open for further replies.