Small firebox vent free insert vendor help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur1966

Oct 22, 2015
Buffalo
I'm interested in buying a vent-free natural gas insert and log set. The dimensions of the old existing fireplace opening are as follows:

Front opening width=26"
Front opening height=26"
Depth from front to back=12.75"
Back width=26"
Distance from firebox to mantle=21"

I can't find any inserts for this small size..any suggestions? interested in inserts only please.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 129
My suggestion is don't go ventless

Reactions: DAKSY
My suggestion is don't go ventless
As the owner of one, I concur. (more correctly my wife is the owner of one and the house came with the wife)

1. To minimize CO, flames are all blue - so the fire isn't anything to look at.
2. It puts off an odor.
3. After several hours it will give you a headache.
4. Neverending anxiety about what is being vented from your fire into your room.
5. If you do put one in, invest in a good CO monitor.

If I had the $ lying around I'd have the ventfree ripped out and replaced with a direct vent unit in a heartbeat.

I know that's not what the OP asked but...

Reactions: DAKSY
thanks for the helpful advice. Unfortunately I have no option. But thanks again
Why cant you vent it? Isn't there a flue servicing that old fireplace? Honestly if i had the choice of ventless or nothing i would choose nothing

thanks for the helpful advice. Unfortunately I have no option. But thanks again

nk
You have the option of setting a small free-standing DV gas unit in FRONT of the opening. Check your local hearth
shop. There just might be something SAFER than a house-vented (THEY ARE NOT VENT-FREE) out there that will both look good
& keep you warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.