1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Smart cars are looking better all the time.....

Post in 'The Green Room' started by hemlock, Mar 11, 2011.

1. SPhill

SPhill New Member

Loc:
    Rolling Hills of Penn's Woods
    I would really like to see Subaru expand the clean diesel options. It is mature, immediately available technology.

With that, the market could settle into High efficiency gasoline, Clean diesel and Gasoline/electric hybrid as primary options. Plug-in electric (with range and charge time issues) will probably occupy a niche for at least another decade as the infrastructure is built and public acceptance grows.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. joecool85

joecool85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I would love to see what you are describing. I bet we cut easily cut fuel consumption by 1/3 to 1/2 in the US doing that alone.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Loved my Subaru and wouldn't mind owning another one with much better mileage. For future options, don't forget hydrogen. It would be fun to try out the Honda FCX for a bit.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/
  4. Billy123

Billy123 Member

Loc:
    PA
    I drive a mini-van and I get around 19 mpg tops/ Hwy. I would the diesel version they sell in Europe. It gets around 10 more mpg than I do.
  5. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Minivans may not be"cool" but they are everywhere and they are practical. Id like to see a hybrid or a plug-in Minivan as well as a light duty pickup plug-in. Would save a load of gas.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    May be ONLY 10 mpg but that's a 50% improvement. Huge deal! The EPA should be ashamed for not allowing these machines in the country. You have to wonder why, it's not emissions really since there have been diesel pickups since the early 90s.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I think it has to do with the way we test for emissions. We test emissions per gallon consumed and I believe that most of the rest of the world tests for emissions per mile.

So if your SUV can pass the per gallon test and use 3 times the fuel it still passes, while a small diesel may emit slightly more per gallon, but use 1/3 the fuel....hmmmm....makes a person wonder doesn't it.
  8. SPhill

SPhill New Member

Loc:
    Rolling Hills of Penn's Woods
    Allowing for the different measuring systems, it appears all countries use grams/distance for personal vehicles and grams/power/hour for commercial trucks.

Europe, Asia and most of South America tests light/medium duty vehicles for grams of pollutants per kilometer:

The United States EPA tests light/medium duty vehicles for grams of pollutants per mile:

For heavy duty trucks Europe tests grams per kiloWatt hour:

For heavy duty trucks the EPA tests grams per brake horsepower per hour:

The California Air Resources Board appears to test grams per mile in the light/medium categories they test. Quite a few states adopt sections of the CARB.

China would appear to be the hold-out, with a mish-mash of adopted and modified European regs.

Source: Summary of Worldwide Emissions Standards (I just scanned it, I may have missed something.)