Smell smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
what would cause a smoke smell to come out of the room air fan?

i was able to get this smell to go away by turning down the combustion fan?

DemonGT said:
what would cause a smoke smell to come out of the room air fan?

i was able to get this smell to go away by turning down the combustion fan?

Likely your exhaust is leaking.

I question the heat exchanger rake.... they cant really seal around the rod, venting leak also x2

DirtyDave said:
I question the heat exchanger rake.... they cant really seal around the rod, venting leak also x2

If the combustion blower is running close to speed that area the rod goes through isn't going to be a problem unless you have something else in the area that really moves air.

now that i think about it, i remember my father in law pulling that small silver piece of the exhaust off the back of the stove and looking at it and then
sliding it back on... obviously not sealed on with RTV.

DemonGT said:
now that i think about it, i remember my father in law pulling that small silver piece of the exhaust off the back of the stove and looking at it and then
sliding it back on... obviously not sealed on with RTV.

That'd do it.

what i dont understand is why would not having that small adapter piece on the back of the stove sealed with RTV make it leak but
that adapter piece just slides onto the wall thimble piece and isnt sealed with anything?

It is most likely your exhaust is leaking and your convection blower is sucking it up and blowing it through your heat exchanger. Remember these stove's run on positve and negative pressure, if you drilled a hole through your heat exchanger it would suck air and not blow smoke out, So in theory the the area around the cleanout rod would be sucking air and not leting smoke out. If you are smelling smoke it is coming from the exhaust on the positve pressure side of the stove.

DemonGT said:
what i dont understand is why would not having that small adapter piece on the back of the stove sealed with RTV make it leak but
that adapter piece just slides onto the wall thimble piece and isnt sealed with anything?

I dont think thats right either.

Simpson makes adjustable pieces that slide together. But that doesnt look like one of them either.

In my opinion, all joints in the house should be sealed. Especially any that just slide on (stove adapter, adjustable pieces, etc). Only the factory twist lock pieces of Pellet vent pro do I trust with nothing. Even then, some joints may need silicone and/or High Temp aluminum tape.

Thats what I would do anyways. Seal them all. Not worth the risk.

how do you seal it when its behind a insert? once you push the stove back you can not get to the exhaust at all. and if you were to seal it all up then how would you pull the insert out
the next season for cleaning?

DemonGT said:
how do you seal it when its behind a insert? once you push the stove back you can not get to the exhaust at all. and if you were to seal it all up then how would you pull the insert out
the next season for cleaning?

If its an insert? Shouldn't there be a surround that goes around the stove. Helps dress it up and keep the Combustibles a safe distance away??

yes there is a surround shroud.

there dose not seem to be enough room around the stove when the shroud is not there to get your arms behind it.
it may be possible to remove some material to give more room? but if all the pipes are RTVed how do you get them
apart? i have some black RTV in the garage i use for auto applications and that stuff is pretty tough.

Use high temp tape, then you can take it off when you need to.

anyone else use high temp tape? that seems like something that is do able. who sells high temp tape?

DemonGT said:
anyone else use high temp tape? that seems like something that is do able. who sells high temp tape?
I use it on all my exhaust vent joints that have to come apart. When I did my install, some of them were leaking. They don't leak anymore.

Home Depot or Lowes should have it. It's usually found in the plumbing sction.

DemonGT said:

I use it. Got mine at the local hardware store. Made by 3M. Works great. Easy to apply. Easy to remove. Leaves no marks behind once you take it off.

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 302
good high quality foil tape like that sticks very well and is a pain to get off. leaves heavy sticky residue when removed. that is why they use it when installing new furnaces in garages and other confined spaces.... 1 it seals. 2 it shows if tampered with. 3 the county inspector loves it.

DirtyDave said:
good high quality foil tape like that sticks very well and is a pain to get off. leaves heavy sticky residue when removed. that is why they use it when installing new furnaces in garages and other confined spaces.... 1 it seals. 2 it shows if tampered with. 3 the county inspector loves it.

The 3M tape I have been using leaves No residue or marks behind. Goes on clean, comes off clean. Not saying another brand may not, but this doesn't leave behind anything.

DemonGT said:
Dexter, is the tape you use the 3m flue tape?

Ive used 2 brands. One is the aluminum high temp foil tape made by 3M. Goes on easy, seals well, and comes off leaving no residue behind (when I've had to remove it).

The other brand is IPG (intertape polymer group) and I used this to hold the door on my Fahrenheit closed, when my door latch was broken. Removed the tape daily so I could pull the exchange cleaning rod, then re-applied tape down the seam of the door, on the top and side to seal it (Door gets pretty hot).

There may be a brand out there (or more than one), that gets sticky and leaves a mess behind. Or maybe mine have yet to be applied long enough or got hot enough??

I would be putting something on those joints. Its hidden behind your stove, so even if it was purple with glitter, it should be a non-issue. The tape comes in varying widths and temperature ranges.

I've used several brands. Never had a problem with a sticky residue or difficulty removing it.

dont get me wrong here... I love foil tape also.. just the foil tape I have is for comercial HVAC instal . is thick extreamly sticky and is hard to get off. I only have the 3 joints inside house, the adapter, gooped, 45 with internal o ring seal, and straight pipe with internal o ring.. outside it can do what it likes but no tape or goop

There is an aluminum foil tape made by 3m for flue use, it isn't the stuff that gets used on ducting.

Status
Not open for further replies.