Smoke city!! need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skier76 said:
Jotulover said:
I just installed a draw collar and it works GREAT to create draw! I had the same problem at our cabin for years, and this took care of it.

Do you have a pic of that set up? I looked into one of those a few months back. But luckily, smokeout hasn't been a huge problem for our stove.

Zap,
LOL! I love that term! Perfect! :lol:

I will get one and post it soon. What stove do you burn?

Chin

Ok just an update on the smoking problem I had starting my new PE Superstep top. This is my first stove and it smoked like a ba$t**d. I had some good feedback here on what to do and this is what has worked for me. On my first ever load I tried a top down fire that smoked like hell. I mean it filled my cabin to the point of opening every window and door in -5C temps.

Of course I had no idea on how this stove would draw in my new cabin, one poster suggested that I warm up the flue by burning slightly crumpled newspaper, about 5 sheets, then loading a top down fire ( not cramming it) in there but a top down non the less. The 2nd part of my success was leaving the door open about 2" inches for about 5 minutes until she picked up speed. I had little to no smoke through this process and she was roaring in no time.

so thanks to all who have helped me understand my stove, cabin, air pressures and how they are all connected. Happy burning.

My house is very very tight...... And When it's not below freezing outside and wind is not blowing, I need to open the window by the stove If I want a good draft to get it roaring. Once it looks like hell in the window, I shut the window (Approx 2 to 5 min).

Status
Not open for further replies.