Smoke Detector Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
Just fired up brand new stove. I've got all my windows and doors in basement opened. It smells like hell. Now my smoke detector in basement is going off. I'm pretty sure its the paint curing and possibly grease or oil leftover burning off. I do not detect any smoke in the basement. Just curious if this is normal? I'm hoping it goes away after the stove "cures"

DV said:
Just fired up brand new stove. I've got all my windows and doors in basement opened. It smells like hell. Now my smoke detector in basement is going off. I'm pretty sure its the paint curing and possibly grease or oil leftover burning off. I do not detect any smoke in the basement. Just curious if this is normal? I'm hoping it goes away after the stove "cures"

Thats why most stove shops recommend firing it up outside first and do a pre-burn.

Harman Lover 007 said:
DV said:

Thats why most stove shops recommend firing it up outside first and do a pre-burn.
Ahhh. That would have been a good idea. Too late now. I'm assuming the smoke detector issue is from the paint curing/burning. I hope.

Completely normal at my house. Even this month, the stove hit a little higher temperature than usual and the smoke detectors sounded. I just put it down to detectors that are doing an extra good job.

Last week I exercised the generator outside and the exhaust blew back into the garage. Alarm city everywhere as they are all interconnected.

Yep. The curing process can stink. Every time you hit a higher plateau in temperature, you may smell it again.

Seems the resident pro's forgot to warn you about the stink these beasts can make when new(me included). We usually tell people to burn them off outside before you drag them in. Funny the bigger the beast the more that they seem to stink! More painted metal to burn off.

Its normal. I set mine off when doing my curing in. Even with the windows open and a fan stuck in it blowing the stink outside. I broke mine in on medium setting a few days later I ramped it up to see how it would do on the max setting. Wouldn't you know it started to stink all over again.

If its a chemical makes your eyes burn smell, Its breakin stink. If its a woodsy smell, Might be a vent leak. You usually smell that on start up and it will stop once its burning well. Just FYI for others following along.

Thanks for the replies. I'm now trying to tell the old lady we are safe! It does smell. But the rest of the week is supposed to be in the 60s so I'll be able to air out the basement and burn some more off!

Status
Not open for further replies.