Smoke leaks from the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For the baffle, it's logical. There has to be a path for the smoke to go out. Take a look and see.

Sooo, who installed this unit? That support is of course dangerous and makes me wonder if you have observed proper clearances elsewhere. Can't tell what the flooring is in the room with the stove but looks like carpet(?).

You really should assure that the chimney is properly supported etc.

As far as performance, how much chimney pipe do you have in total? The addition of a few more feet up top may give you the extra draft needed to overcome that horizontal run.

EDIT; took closer look at pic and looks like tile floor.

Sooo, who installed this unit? That support is of course dangerous and makes me wonder if you have observed proper clearances elsewhere. Can't tell what the flooring is in the room with the stove but looks like carpet(?).

You really should assure that the chimney is properly supported etc.

As far as performance, how much chimney pipe do you have in total? The addition of a few more feet up top may give you the extra draft needed to overcome that horizontal run.

EDIT; took closer look at pic and looks like tile floor.

The support in the photo is for extra, not really needed, but we added it anyway. The floor is marble.
As for the pipes it's 8 pipes (8 meters). Someone earlier said that this long chimney might cool extremely fast and effect the draw, will the extra length make it even worse then?

Obviously most of us here in North America are not familiar with your climate, weather and building/construction codes /standards in Israel.

Your stove seems to be a high efficiency appliance, I can only assume it was installed as per the manufacturers recommendations for clearances to a combustion wall or materials as well as per your building codes relating to installation of a wood heating appliance in Israel.

Were this situation here I would tell you the following:

1- Chimney draft is created by a warm/hot chimney and the obligatory chimney height to induce proper draft.

2- The chimney is too far, that exterior flue pipe (black pipe) cools down the heat quickly.

3- the chimney in not insulated, therefore too cold for the smoke to rise up and out correctly.

4- You have a setup there that will ensure lots of creosote build up in the flue and chimney, great to start a very serious fire.

5- With your actual installation it is not surprising at all that smoke in back puffing in to your home.

6- Your stove door glass is most probably brown and caked with soot and creosote.

7- For us here your installation and chimney support are dangerous and a fire waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyoterun
I even noticed that when there is not enough wind outside the smoke is going down and I can smell it around the house.

Sounds like an atmospheric inversion which is also tough on draft. Is this (smoke in house) a constant problem or on and off?

Someone earlier said that this long chimney might cool extremely fast and effect the draw, will the extra length make it even worse then?

Smoke spillage is a draft issue. Usually the longer the chimney the better the draft. That horizontal is not helping. You can add some cheap single wall pipe up top and see if your draft improves. If it works you can do something permanent.

Other thoughts; The H cap, new or was it always there? Competing appliances like dryer or kitchen/bathroom vents.

Obviously most of us here in North America are not familiar with your climate, weather and building/construction codes /standards in Israel.

Your stove seems to be a high efficiency appliance, I can only assume it was installed as per the manufacturers recommendations for clearances to a combustion wall or materials as well as per your building codes relating to installation of a wood heating appliance.

Were this situation here I would tell you the following:

1- Chimney draft is created by a warm/hot chimney and the obligatory chimney height to induce proper draft.
2- The chimney is too far, that exterior flue pipe (black pipe) cools down the heat quickly.
3- the chimney in not insulated, therefore too cold for the smoke to rise up and out correctly.
4- You have a setup there that will ensure lots of creosote build up in the flue and chimney, great to start a very serious fire.
5- With your actual installation it is not surprising at all that smoke in back puffing in to your home.
6- Your stove door glass is most probably brown and caked with soot and creosote.
7- For us here your installation and chimney support are dangerous and a fire waiting to happen.

2. Is the problem with the pipe or the fact that it's too far? will replacing it with stainless steel one and 2 45degree corners to keep the distance from wall will be better.
3. I asked for insulated pipes but the man in the store said it would be a waist of money for my needs. (I'm pissed of on myself that I've listened to him).
4. I'm asking for your advice here to fix the problem so now you have all the data I'll be glad to here for the changes that would be more effective for my situation.
6. I think that the brown glass is mostly because of the first wood I've bought, it was wet, that was another problem that I needed to deal with as a beginner user.
7. Again, any suggestions will be appreciated, we definitely don't want this to happen.

Thanks,
Ihab

Sounds like an atmospheric inversion which is also tough on draft. Is this (smoke in house) a constant problem or on and off?

The smoke is constant, but it happens only when opening the door for adding more wood.

Smoke spillage is a draft issue. Usually the longer the chimney the better the draft. That horizontal is not helping. You can add some cheap single wall pipe up top and see if your draft improves. If it works you can do something permanent.

Other thoughts; The H cap, new or was it always there? Competing appliances like dryer or kitchen/bathroom vents.

I thinks I'll start by shortening the horizontal pipe and replace it's corners by a 45 degree ones.
The H cap is a new one.

Thanks,
Ihab

Again we do not know your building/construction codes, you need to inquire about these from your local authorities, know these and comply with them to protect your families safety.

For us not knowing these what we say may conceivably be sending you on the wrong path as well as having you spend good money needlessly and possibly be in opposition to your codes.

To have a better idea of what is done here you can ''google'' stainless steel chimney installation Canada or USA and view what we do and review installation photos.

Good manufacturers websites to visit for very good information would be Excel Chimney Products, Selkirk Chimney Products to name but a couple however these may not be helpful and applicable at all to Israel.

In my humble opinion most of your problems are probably related to a cold flue and chimney, the installation and possibly poor quality and damp fuel as well.

Most smoke backpuffing is directly related to insufficient flue/chimney draft and a cold or cool chimney has very limited draft.